Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathmitch

Any Recs for Lilies in LA?

heathmitch
19 years ago

I think I'd like to put a clump of lilies under my pomagranate tree -- clay soil but good drainage, and dappled sunlight almost all day.

Ideally, my lily is heavily scented, under 4 feet tall, a great cut flower, not *too* much of a water hog, and looks decent year-round.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Heather

Comments (14)

• nwest
    19 years ago

How about the native Humboldt Lilly?
    -Nate

http://www.theodorepayne.org/gallery/pages/lilium%20humboldtii.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Lilly

• gardenguru1950
    19 years ago

Heather:

Traditional lilies -- the Asiatics, Oriental, and Trumpets -- are poor choices for Los Angeles.

Even with the best of care, they'll produce one good season (the first) and then slowly go downhill from there.

I like:

Lilium candidum MADONNA LILY
    Lilium "Corallitos Hybrids" WESTERN HYBRID LILIES
    Lilium humboldtii HUMBOLDT LILY
    Lilium pardalinum PANTHER LILY
    Lilium rubescens CHAPARRAL LILY
    Lilium washingtonianum WASHINGTON LILY

Okay, they're not YOUR perfect lily. They're not very fragrant (except for the Madonna, which is EXCEPTIONALLY fragrant). They don't have huge flowers that are traditional cutflower quality. And, except for the Corallitos, they don't come in a lot of colors.

But most are native (or hybrids thereof, in the case of the Corallitos; or the Madonna, a Mediterranean native), they tolrate our heavy soils, and they are VERY drought tolerant. Most importantly, they are VERY adaptable to our climate. They actually thrive in it.

They start dying down in mid to late summer and they are subject to snail damage. But, then again, traditional lilies are even worse in this respect.

There is more work being done on the Coralllitos hybrids (including some of my own breeding) and there used to be some work being done on interspecific hybrids involving Lilium candidum (some GORGEOUS stuff used to be out there).

Maybe it's time to shift gears and take a look at some truly California-adaptable stuff.

Joe

• lilydude
    19 years ago

I've never grown lilies in LA, but it seems to me like Lilium philippinense, wallichianum, and formosanum might do well there, since they all come from warm climates. It might also be worth trying L. sulphureum, and sargentiae, if you can find them. Also try L. regale.

• BecR
    19 years ago

I know NOTHING about lilies---BUT I did get a beautiful oriental lily (a potted Muscadet) last year for Mother's Day, and I repotted it just a week or so ago and it has grown about a foot or more in that one week-- I am not kidding!!!-- it is about 2 1/2 feet/plus tall right now-- and I am so glad that I repotted it into a nice big pot! No blooms yet, but it certainly doesn't seem to be languishing by any means! I have kept it outside this entire past year in dappled shade, more in "dappled sun" now to encourage blooms. I am not in L.A., but close (Temecula)--- Why should lilies not do well in L.A., gardenguru? Do they need a good frost or not? Should they do good for me? BTW, the madonna lily is soo beautiful (have seen it only in pics)--- I have never seen it avaiable in stores around here though. Would love to give it a try. Becky

• lilydude
    19 years ago

Another lily that should do well in LA is the Easter Lily, Lilium longiflorum. You could also try L. speciosum.

Lilies originate in an amazing range of habitats and climates, some of them quite warm. Most need some winter chill, but I don't think the chilling requirements have been well documented. If the soil is too warm in winter, the bulbs will often rot. I have grown L. sulphureum and sargentiae in San Leandro in containers, and they come back year after year. I make sure that the containers are shaded in both summer and winter, to keep the potting mix cool. If you plant lilies in your garden, I recommend that you mulch with redwood or Douglas fir bark, to keep the soil cool. It might be helpful to plant them where they get morning sun only, so they don't get sun during the hottest part of the day.

Lilies are not water hogs, but they do like a lot of fertilizer. You will have to control slugs and snails.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    19 years ago

I'm assuming you are talking about true lillies?

I asked this question last year. Some people said they have success growing them in 5 gallon pots, and keeping them on the dry side after they die back in the fall, to avoid having them rot over the "winter". Mine have come back this year and are much larger already than they were the 1st year. I'm happy to grow them as annuals. That they came back is a delightful surprise.

• happ
    19 years ago

How about the Gloriosa superba?
    Family: Liliaceae (lily family)
    Common Names: glory lily, gloriosa lily, tiger claw

It's a tropical vine and a real beauty.

happ

• heathmitch
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I do prefer planting well-suited things, obviously -- less work, etc., but I was really hoping for something with the classic lily scent to it ... Madonna Lilies would be great, but don't they need full sun?

-- Heather

• BecR
    19 years ago

Heathmitch, I have been studying up on lilies, so what I have to say is not really from my experience. What I am hearing is that Lilies like full sun in cool, coastal areas. Inland they prefer dappled sun, or morning sun and afertoon shade. Also, I believe they go dormant over the winter, not sure about all varieties though. Becky

• greenwitch
    18 years ago

I bought a Formosa lily at the Huntington Plant Sale (buds all over it). The tag says:

Lilium Formosanum var. Pricei, large white fragrant flowers in summer, perrenial, to 9-18" sun to part shade. Regular water. A good lily for Southern California.

I've read that these have naturalized in South Africa.

If you like fragrance, there are crinums, crinadonnas and amaryllis belladonna (pink, white and dark pink) to consider. They do well in our climate and soil.

• denisez10
    18 years ago

Plain, old L. regale have been my first success. Blooming right now, about 4-5 feet high, multiplied from last year. Intoxicating scent at the "magic" hour, twilight, pouring out, scenting the whole garden, strong as jasmine. As far as good-looking the rest of the year ... well, after a lily blooms, the show's over. There's a stalk left, and that's it. I didn't let it set seed last year, but you've gotta leave the stalk to beef up the bulb for next year's show. Sunset Garden Book says regals have been "superceded" -- maybe for those who CAN grow any and all types of lily regals are superceded, but in my garden they are most welcome and appreciated.

• californian
    18 years ago

I see Lily of the Nile growing all over southern California.

• Maureen Janda
    18 years ago

I've had Asian and Oriental lilies for about 4 years here. Some of the Asian (though these aren't the fragrant ones) in a raised bed have done so well that I've spread the baby bulbs all over the garden. The Orientals in that bed do well, just haven't multiplied as much. Then again, some in our heavy clay and in an area that's getting shadier may not be coming back this year.

• philgardener
    18 years ago

Hello, I am a life member of the NALS and have grown true lilies for many years in the San Fernando Valley. Lilium henry is probably the easiest to grow and ramps at my house with sandy soil, amended with humus, and only some dappled shade. Longiflorum also does fine. Surprisingly, formosanum is not really happy. My own strain of formo-longi's does great as well as my many bulbs of (Louise x henryi). The Pink Perfection strain (a complex of regale, centifolium, sargentiae, and sulphureum) also does well. Why grow wallichianum or philippense when longiflorum does so well!! I have tried candidum, but surprisingly it languished. The American hybrids -- mentioned by one posting -- all quickly failed, including the species humboldtii and ocellatum. I have not tried speciosum but believe it could do OK. I am trying to acquire the following species, as I think they would do OK here: sargentiae, sulphureum, speciosum gloriosoides, and brownii. I have sent some acclimated seed to the NALS seed exchange for spring, 2006, mailing, and you might watch for it. Let me hear if this info has helped. Thanks, Philgardener.