Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marina Strawberry tree, opinions?

Posted by rose_angel 9 , low foothills (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 15:33

I saw one of these and just loved it. Do you have one? What do you think of it? any cons? Pretty hardy?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marina Strawberry tree, opinions?

A nearby neighbor has one, you can see the flowers from it that I posted in the gallery section of the california forum. A lovely small tree, the only downside is it can get sooty mold from whiteflies. I don't know the hardiness, it's undoubtably listed in the sunset garden guide, you could check hardiness there.

o

I planted two of them for a friend. The trunks look lovely, very interesting, like guava trunks only straighter. No whiteflies, no sooty mold, evergreen, not a lot of mess, moderate grower. Hardy enough for USDA zone 9 or Sunset zone 14.

o

I have one. A very handsome tree. They do get aphids and sooty mildew. I love mine, but they are messy. They have pretty white to pinkish bell shaped flowers, like a manzanita, which they drop. The also drop the stems from those flowers and they make bright red fruits which they drop. Not a tree for someplace you don't want mess, but if droppage isn't a problem, then it's a beautiful tree. The birds like the fruits and the hummers feed off the flowers.

I love mine.

wanda

o

I have a beautiful specimen about 15 years old. Much of the beauty is the structure of the limbs in shiny red color and smooth to touch. I am appalled to see now available in nurseries trees grown with no limbs within 8 feet of the ground and shaped like a lollipop. Limbs should start within 2 or 3 feet from the ground and spread so the beauty of the limbs shape and their color can be enjoyed. Al

o

Hi, Is the fruit edible? How does it taste? I bought an eight footer about two months ago here in Orlando Florida and it is dying fast. Half the limbs are dead but the other are actully sending out blossom buds and looking good. But there is a lot of black spot fungus on the leaves too! ......... Please let me know about the fruit it produces and how it is. THANK YOU very much for your help! Patrick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here