Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

The miserable month of May..taken by suprise is right!

58f! at midday. We should be middle 70's-at least. Its like living on the Farralon islands smack in the middle of the cold Alaskan current. No sun,breezy..chilled hands outside. The SF eastbay is the land of no May!

Comments (26)

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

Yeah, I know, I planted a lot of seeds, because of the so called light rains.

• firstmmo
    12 years ago

I HATE waking up every morning only to hear that the temp will be 65. I am totally ready for 85. However, my beets, turnips, lettuce and winter greens are adoring the mild spring.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I'm with the beets.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I don't like waking up to rain every morning, like today. Al

• loribee2
    12 years ago

At this point, I'm wondering if I should plant my fall broccoli and cabbage early.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

I'm loving this weather! I can't stand it when it gets too hot, or too cold, but this -- perfect! I've been able to do lots of yard work as a result. Of course, aside from tomatoes, I didn't plant anything else of significance.

• kristincarol
    12 years ago

Rain gets old, but what it brings is well worth the inconvenience, imho. We are used to this in Humboldt County, after all.

Would not trade the peace, quiet and wide open spaces of NoCal for all the sun down below.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I planted based on 75-85F summer temps over a lifetime..and one near summer month is gone and we ave. 66f..thats 3-7F below average-depending on station. Seven degree's per day is a lot of warmth lost!..two Mays in a row too.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    12 years ago

I'm just afraid come August-Oct we are going to get blasted with heat, winds and fires.
    I rarely see any May gray or June gloom of maybe 2-3 days so I'm ok with it being cooler.
    The loser is...SoCal Edison...lol

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

What is terrible about this rain. It's not enough to actually water, but enough to cause weeds to sprout and fungal diseases to appear. It is good for sprouting seeds.

Original Author
    12 years ago

The ch.2 weatherman pronounced "It doesnt get any colder that it is today,for this time if year". Someplace, it's warm on June 1st. Not here..bwaahhh!-lol.

• dicot
    12 years ago

Just read this from the Western Farm Press, which is a killer to someone like me who wants to be in the ocean as often as possible.
    ===================
    West Coastâ¨/Pacific Northwest

"June Gloom" might get a late start this summer, but could persist well into the summer along the California beaches.

Although La Nina is weakening and transitioning to a more neutral state, Pacific Ocean waters will still be colder than normal, giving the extreme West Coast, including beach areas, a persistent chill.

"The West Coast will have near- or below-normal temperatures as the cold [ocean temperatures] hangs on through the summer, while the interior West heats up," Pastelok said.

• homey_bird
    12 years ago

The only remedy that I've thought of for coming year is plant lots of winter veggies. That way, if it stays cold, your beets and chards win, and if it warms up, your tomatoes win. Either way you get happy! :-)

But seriously, I'll love to be able to stow away my sweaters and jackets.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

If you were in Alaska you would be covered with mosquito bites. I'll take grey bay area over that any day.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Now,we are getting tornados in norcal...and you only had to look at the clouds that bordered the eastbay hills to the inlands clear to see tiny little vortexes forming like bangs. Best I can describe-lol.
    Saturday- thunderstorms..and not even a pineapple express running errant in June,nope,just another cold northern storm like a day in January.
    For all the talk of "good for the fire season"..I wonder folks,because I see that other than annual grasses,other perennials like the mustards and milkweeds are huge and still growing. A hot mid summer and fall is going to be something for nor cal to worry about.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    12 years ago

That is exactly it Stanofh, the extra rain is just producing more growth to dry out for even bigger fires.

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

I absolutely love it! Another cool summer, YAY! I'm ducking now to get out of the way of those rocks you guys are throwing at me, but I really liked last summer, thought our extra rain this winter was wonderful, and telling me that we'll have another cool summer just makes my day. Lower water bills.......

Original Author
    12 years ago

"Unprecedented rains" are forecast for the bay area-up to 2". They even said possible flooding. They didnt say if it will reach soucal..the bay area seems to be target and bullseye.

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

I sure would like to get it down here, but I don't think anything is coming our way...sigh. We've been lucky to get what we've gotten so far.

Original Author
    12 years ago

wcg10,I cant figure why soucal is missed OR why Seattle is having a nice weekend in the 70's?..why the central California coast is-sorta- cursed. But I can say though-I've never seen such lushness in the bay area(in a half century of being around)...parks and tree's are luxuriant in growth,not a single plant with a single wilted leaf. Street tree's look like they are on water..when they are just taking in rain.

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Things look better here than they have in years. My last remaining big old avocado has never looked this good. If I got to vote on this, I'd be very in favor of keeping this weather permanently.

• carolsun
    12 years ago

While reading these posts, I noticed sunlight breaking through the branches of buckthorn outside nearby window. Now it's gone. I think we've had an inch of rain in north bay today. Still, I'd rather be here than near the banks of the Mississippi or Missouri Rivers or in states that had drought-fed wildfires this last winter. Trying not to whine takes a lot of energy.

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

I cannot believe that we're getting actual rain here...in June! It's worth being up in the middle of the night just to listen to it with the doors and windows open..

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

I know, wcgypsy! I was woken up last night and could not figure out what the noise was for a minute or two. I realized it was raining!?! In June. We got a fair amount of rain, too, I was really surprised. I just planted about 20 plants yesterday and Saturday, so I'm sure my new plants were pretty happy about their nice sprinkling!

Patty S.

• deep___roots
    12 years ago

It's another gray day in the Bay Area. I would like some sun soon, but this weather is not unpleasant. It's not cold.
    The rainfall has been light. If you go down in the soil an inch, it is dry.
    I have been planting seeds of warm annuals like Zinnias.
    And doing some weeding and pruning.
    Most of my plants look real good. The tomatoes are looking fine although they probably would like some heat.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Alright-the June weather is here..a 65f was predicted and it went to the low 70's instead. The power of June sunlight. THIS week will be big-planting and repotting,and that dang weeding...