Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnymoonflowers

What to plant when temps are already in the 80's?

bunnymoonflowers
11 years ago

Working on getting landscaping in for a house in Murrieta, CA (hot inland valley: Zone 9, Sunset 18). It's already hot there...so what to plant at this time of year? H is wanting to fill narrow planters that line the back fence.

Comments (8)

• socks
    11 years ago

I'm in an inland valley too and would not let 80 degrees stop me from planting. Dig your holes before taking plants out of pots so the roots are exposed a minimum amount of time. Maybe plant after 3 so they have the afternoon and overnight to get used to their new home a little. If it's really hot the next day, shade the plants with whatever you have on hand (lawn chairs, umbrellas, etc.)or even two days.

A sunny place? Annuals?

• bunnymoonflowers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for writing :)

There are 3 long planter boxes following the backyard fence..they are pretty narrow and shallow - one faces north, one south, and one west.

I'm thinking maybe flats of something...but what can take the heat now? My H is too impatient to wait til January to plants Knock-outs; wants something in the ground for summer, and then replant with the roses.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Portulaca might do the job. Annual vincas like heat- they might be available in nurseries. Tropicals can be planted in the heat too.

Renee

• socks
    11 years ago

Vincas are good, marigolds and alyssum can take the heat. Make a trip to a nursery and look at the annuals which are in the sun. You can seed if you want to do something inexpensively.

Why can't you plant Knockouts now? I haven't looked, but surely they are available potted in nurseries, arent' they?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Knock Outs do very poorly in Southern California. Use 'Iceberg' instead. There are pink and burgundy versions if you do not want white.

Whatever you plant, be vigilant about watering until November. The newly installed plants will be especially vulnerable this summer.

• bahia
    11 years ago

You know that shallow narrow wood planters facing south or west will dry out very quickly and may even require twice a day watering. If you were planting in the ground, the recommendations for Vinca rosea, Marigolds, Zinnias and Portulaca would make better sense. I don't think roses would do well there unless the height and width of the planters could accommodate a 5 gallon size can/soil volume, and was hooked up to automatic drip irrigation. More Derick type plants such as Hesperaloe, Agaves, Cactus, Euphorbias, etc might be better choices if you don't want to water twice daily.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

As you refer them as "planter boxes' we assume they are boxes with a bottom, and in fact a container. If that is so, watering is going to be a real problem. If you can manage the watering, I think Lantana might be a good choice, as it will look good until frost. Al

• tressa
    11 years ago

Hi, I live in Temecula...I understand the dilemma. And, I am also faced with the deluge of rabbits and squirrels. So planting in summer for me is double trouble! LOL! I am thinking you might get inspired by a nursery in Rainbow. RZ - down the road from Rainbow Oaks. I'm sure the owner could direct you to something. Great prices too!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath