Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best solar bird fountain?

Posted by lucia_ca z9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 16:15

Hi,

I see some past discussion on solar fountain pumps....it looks like an OASE external pump (one not sitting in the water) is recommended. Has anyone had direct experience with these? ...and/or know where to buy one?

I'd like a bird bath with moving water because it's my understanding that moving water will attract more birds. It needs to be solar because there is no electrical where I want to place it.

Anyone have specific recommendations on either building your own fountain and buying a separate pump or buying an all-in-one solar fountain?

If you have specific vendors/sites to recommend, feel free to email me directly, too.

thanks!
----lucia
ios_lrh@yahoo.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best solar bird fountain?

I have a fountain without a pump and the birds have never had a problem being attracted to it. Of course, they are in my yard already eating the bird seed. I used to use solar pumps but they cost alot and never lasted very long. Plus it was tedious to keep cleaning the algae and other gunk inside of them. I finally gave up on pumps. Now I just empty out the water and give the bath a quick scrubbing with a brush every day or two.
Now if I want to hear the sound of moving water, I play my CD of a babbling brook on my CD player that I keep on my patio. It's also my anti-noisy neighbor strategy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here