Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Bay Area: What are you harvesting currently?

homey_bird
12 years ago

In my city, they have a "free produce exchange" held the coming weekend. It's a nice idea; and I am excited at getting something I do not grow for free, only to find that I have no produce ready to give! (exceptions are citrus and herbs). Even strawberries are still growing and not ready!!

This led me to wonder, what are people in various parts of SF Bay Area harvesting?

Just curious -- so next year I know which early producers to grow!!

Comments (18)

• deep___roots
    12 years ago

potatoes
    fava beans
    onions

• spaghetina
    12 years ago

I didn't get to plant anything over the winter, but I started sugar snap peas in Jan, and I'm finally harvesting them. Had I started favas, I'd probably be up to my ears in them right about now.

• deep___roots
    12 years ago

Potatoes (this morning's harvest)
    {{gwi:532871}}
    Fava beans (need to be harvested...not my favorite task however)
    {{gwi:532872}}
    Onions (these are Red Torpedos, barbequed or fresh they are magnifique and onions should really be called "yum"ions)
    {{gwi:532873}}

• kdc95014
    12 years ago

In addition to citrus and herbs, the swiss chard and lettuce is growing very well.

• bluebirdie
    12 years ago

My harvest is similar to all of yous: swiss chard, chives, onion, Gai Long (Chinese Broccoli), Cilantro. I had to havest and pull Fava two weeks ago to make room for tomato seedlings.

homey_bird, how did you find out about the produce exchange in your city? Can I find things like that on the local newspaper?

• homey_bird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually I found out from a friend who is active in the local gardening circles.

I'm not sure if they publish in the newspaper -- at least I did not catch a wind in the local paper. But maybe towards Friday they will publish something...

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    12 years ago

Beet greens, chard, herbs, lemons.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Cabbage, broccoli and peas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Loribees Garden Blog

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

I am harvesting nothing, but the birds are eating fresh strawberries every day *grrr* I need to get some bird netting up. Has anyone ever tried netting a hanging strawberry basket? I'm not sure how to go about doing that...

12 years ago

Flying Snails.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yup, flying snails. You read that right.

• homey_bird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Peachymomo, I have been growing strawberries in hanging baskets next to my kitchen window for couple of years now. Great way to save them from squirrels in my yard. I do not know if birds will spare them, I have had no such incidences! My only suggestion would be to find a basket size that is sufficient for the plants.

Generally my experience is that berries are better off grown closer to the home structure.

Let me know if you need specific information.

• firstmmo
    12 years ago

Have had a ton of turnips, beets (and their yummy beet greens), mustard greens, a few carrots, some radishes, lots of lettuce, peas almost ready to harvest. Half my onions look great and half look weak.

...and lots of eggs from my chickens who are now back to producing after being very lackadaisical over Winter.

With very weak sun and many overcast days here in NoCal lately, the tomatoes have not had a chance to spring up, the peppers look sadly puny and frankly, I'm just a bit tired of waking up every morning only to see "64 degrees" as the day's "high".

{{gwi:532874}}
    {{gwi:532875}}
    {{gwi:532876}}

• homey_bird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Firsthouse, that's beautiful produce and awesome looking eggs! Thanks for posting!!

I know this is a question fit for cooking forum, but what do you make out of beet greens?

TIA!

• firstmmo
    12 years ago

Beet greens:
    * chop up, saute and mix in with cous cous or quinoa
    * add to quiche
    * do a whole bunch of different greens like turnip greens, mustard greens, beet greens and or chard and make a delicious topping for polenta or pile on top of a steak
    * add to omelets
    * saute and stuff a chicken breast
    ...and if that's not enough recipes and your kids are sick of beet greens, feed them to your chickens :)

• deep___roots
    12 years ago

It's what's for dinner tonight.
    {{gwi:532877}}

11 years ago

What's everyone harvesting in the Bay Area?

In East Oakland I'm getting

Fresh eggs
    Kale
    Italian chicory/dandelion
    Lemons
    Rosemary

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    11 years ago

In Hayward,Suebelle sapotes are sweet...I cant keep up. And - Dandelion for salads are lush. Soon,Lemon grass. Banana leaves for wrapping and cooking food are sprouting fresh for spring. And Cardamine ginger is growing.
    Avocado's are flowering. I have a super dwarf Mexicola..you can eat it skin and all. Creamy,but not much more then a fig fruit- maybe smaller.

11 years ago

Does your dwarf avocado need a pollinator?