Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_h96

Please ID this Flowering Tree with Berries

Melissa.H
10 years ago

We have several of these trees in our backyard. I'd like to know what they are. In early spring small white flowers appear and they are currently turning into green berries.

I live in inland north Orange County.

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• Jjbjjbh Jjbjjbh
    10 years ago

I am new at SoCal horticulture, but my best guess.....Indian Jujube ...... Ziziphus mauritiana?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Pittosporum undulatum maybe. Do you have a close up of the flowers?

• Melissa.H
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have any close ups of the flowers, just the one photo. I will take a full photo of the tree tomorrow and post it. Perhaps that will help more.

Thanks!

• Jjbjjbh Jjbjjbh
    10 years ago

Melissa, this is how the jujube flowers and green berries look like. The berries ripen to a reddish brown color. Hope these pictures can help you either in eliminating it or identifying it. Good Luck.

• Jjbjjbh Jjbjjbh
    10 years ago

Sorry couldn't upload two pictures in one post. Here are the green jujube berries.

• Melissa.H
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a full photo of one of the trees.

• Melissa.H
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And a close up of the berries currently on all the trees.

• Melissa.H
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jjjb- Thanks for sharing those! I think compared to my photos the berries appear to have a bit of a different shape, and the leaves appear a bit different as well.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Maybe Pittosporum undulatum, and it is planted way, way too close to that wall. I am not completely sure. If the fruits turn yellow, very likely. If black then perhaps Prunus ilicifolia, or Prunus caroliniana, but it's way early for them to bloom.

P. undulatum is a standard tree commonly used in this area. It's a very nice tree when young, but in maturity then the falling fruit becomes mess and the roots become aggressive. Best to enjoy it for a while and then get rid of it, but get it farther from that wall.

Prunus caroliniana is also a commonly used small tree in this area, the fallen fruit is something of a problem as it reseeds somewhat, but it's not as large when mature and the roots are not so aggressive.

You can always take a piece to a good garden center that sells trees (not a big box store) and compare to see what it is.

In either case, in any case, way too close to the wall.

• Melissa.H
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. Perhaps I will try to take a piece to a nursery and inspect further. The trees were here before we were, all planted around the perimeter of the yard like that. How far from fences should they be it we dig up and move them?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Depends on what they turn out to be--maybe 4' for Prunus, but 10' for P. undulatum.

It's a matter of two things--do you want roots cracking your block wall and do you want to irk your neighbors when they start having a lot of big branches hanging over into their yard? (Maybe they will care, maybe they won't)

Well, three things, maybe--if you know you are moving in 2 or 3 years, you may not care. Long term, realizing larger shrubs/trees can cause problems and planting so as not to cause problems for yourself in the future is a good idea.

• Melissa.H
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! After doing some more research and comparison I'm pretty sure it's a prunus caroliniana. I'll wait and see what color the berries turn to just to be sure. I think we will replant them further out from the fence to be safe. Your input is appreciated.