Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Success with grapes?

homey_bird
12 years ago

Hi,

I have read past posts regarding grapevine growing advice and for the past year or so, have read a lot of information on how to grow grapes successfully in SF Bay Area (mid-peninsula) region.

Basically, I got Red Flame Seedless (in year 3), Thompson Seedless (year 2) and Perlette (year 1), in a very sunny spot. I have pruned correctly (to my knowledge), left previous year's growth on so as to grow flowering buds over the vines.

It's well into Spring weather, and none of my vines have shown any signs on any blossoms. They are growing well, show no signs of distress even after a full day in sun but show no grapes.

I have barely watered them since rains stopped; and gave a nice bone meal feed once when leaves started to appear. However, approx. 2-3ft away from these grapes I have vegetable patch growing and that has been getting plenty regular water. Not sure if grapevines are getting overwatered as a result.

In short, I think I've done everything right and yet see no fruit. A case in point, there's a neighbor who has them by the crosswalk and they have abundunt fruit set! (but I'm not sure of their varieties).

Can the experienced folks here share their wisdom with me? I'm almost on the verge of removing the vines if they do not produce! Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)