Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rattlesnakes

Posted by Caligrow ca (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 16:54

In my top pasture I have several water tanks and all my pots. My tanks and pots are all leveled out, on sand, gravel, and wire meshing. While in the garden getting things ready, I have found several baby rattlesnakes,(I know they have parents somewhere) either way, how can I prevent them from living in "my" area? Ca State law requires fences, which I have already. I only grow using organic anything, so my question is, is there something that I can use to keep them away. Staking Onion, spraying ediable peppermint or something? I fear that one will bite me one day while I am ph ing my water or cleaning or working around a pot. At this point my only reaction is to kill them, I encourage for king and gardner snacks to hang around, but the mean ones no thank you. I care more for my life, my employees life, or even my dogs life, more then I do its. But again, I would prefer to find something that will detour them away. Anybody know of anything?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rattlesnakes

The only deterrent I am aware of is snake fencing. No plants or chemicals really deter snakes, no matter what folks might say. You may need to bury the fencing 6 inches into the ground, and make sure there are no small places where a snake can squeeze through. Check the fencing frequently for openings or breaks. Clear out wood piles. Trim up shrubs so they don't touch the ground (so you can see under them clearly). Close up holes under structures. Be sure to look in pots carefully before using them. Don't create piles of "stuff" where a snake could get under for cover. Remove rock piles, keep your grass or brush cut short. And, be sure to fill in rodent holes and burrows, as snakes often use them to sleep in, or seek out prey.

We had the same issue on our property, having found 4 large rattlers on our lot. I did put up snake fencing, but ended up trapped two of the rattlers inside. Hopefully we've found them all, and we have no more "surprises".

Lastly, you'll want to control your rodent population, so there's nothing for them to eat. They'll go elsewhere for their meal. This is their "activity" time - later winter and early spring - so be on the lookout for them. You'll have to try to trap the baby rattlers and either dispatch with them, or re-home them. If you can get them contained carefully, you can then call in a pest control person to get them off your property. I found out that no one is interested in coming out to help you unless you have them contained, first. Sort of defeats the purpose in my mind, that that was my experience.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Rattlesnakes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here