Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
X-post: Corners in the garden

Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 17:16

I just posted a bunch of photos I took of our garden a few days ago in the Cottage Garden forum. The rains have really done wonders but we are definitely starting to slide into early summer. Some of the poppies are already ripening seedheads for next year:

Here is a link that might be useful: Corners in the garden: May photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: X-post: Corners in the garden

Thank you for the lovely 'picture show'.

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Sun, May 23, 10 at 22:14

Always nice to see how many nice gardens and different styles are represented here. I agree that gardens that reveal themselves differently from various viewing angles or at different times of the year are the most interesting.

Which plecanthrus is that that stays so low? Mine are all sprawling giants.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 23, 10 at 22:57

dicot, it's Plectranthus oertendahlii 'Lime Light'. A truly beautiful plant, but it seems to have disappeared from local nurseries here. I've never seen it again for sale, in fact. It has small flower spikes and that one plant has now spread at least 6' through the bed! Not invasive, though - easy to prune back or rip out if it tries to go where you don't want it to.

I had several competing groundcovers in that bed - bacopa, oxalis, vinca minor, and the plectranthus. The vinca hangs on, but barely. The plectranthus has thrived even through our occasional nippy frosts, including the harsh January 2007 that killed the original Japanese Maple in this bed.

o
RE: Plectranthus oertendahlii 'Lime Light'

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 23, 10 at 23:22

I had to do a little searching but I knew I had a photo of this plant when in bloom. This is from Oct 2009; the flowers are a very, very pale lilac. The violently fuchsia Iresine didn't last through the winter, it's very frost-tender.
Iresine & P. oertendahlii 'Lime Light'

o

That is a wonderful plant. Thanks for all of the photos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here