Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID needed please

Posted by gobluedjm 9/18 CA (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 17:21

Can someone please ID this for me. It suckers, has tiny round black colored berries and the woodpeckers have damaged it. The leaf edges are a little jagged. If the city decides it must come down rather than the winds take it down is it any good for firewood?
Thanks!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID needed please

Looks like Celtis australis. It has the asymmetrical leaves typical of Ulmaceae and it has berries versus winged seeds that would be typical of Ulmus and Zelkova, our other common Ulmaceae trees.

I can't see any potential disasters from that photo; why do you think the tree is going to come down or must come down?

Joe

o

Its has woodpecker damage all the way about halfway up and all the way around all main branches. When the winds blow it really shakes. Just in case they decide to take it down I want to be prepared but I doubt they will.
Its my only shade from the S so don't want to lose it but don't want it falling on someone elses home either and wrecking fencing. Its also a bird haven and the owls like it.

o

I was thinking it might be a Camphor Tree = Cinnamomum camphora.

I doubt the woodpeckers have done much damage to this hearty tree. What you have is a lovely tree that looks to be well balanced..... and is just getting big enough to be great for shade. It grows slowly to 50 feet tall by 60 feet wide.

o

Funny you mention that Westelle cuz I have a camphor tree in front and isn't quite the same.
The camphor sheds leaves and branches twice a year and never goes completely bare like this one does and the berries are bigger than these are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here