Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burbankgarden

Summer Landscaping Project?

BurbankGarden
10 years ago

Hello California gardeners. I need some advice. I am planning a drought tolerant/native plant type of grass replacement project for our front yard. It is west facing, no shade, and in the summer it gets EXTREMELY hot out there. We had wanted to start the project earlier in the year but didn't get the funds until now. My husband is pushing to do it now but the plans are not quite final and I don't want to rush.

My question is, should I wait until late September or October to do the project? I'm concerned about killing all my new plants in the heat. I've successfully killed most of the grass by not watering for a year. The neighbors just love me. I'm going to be using succulents, cacti and larger specimins as I'm not patient enough to wait for results. This is a DIY project.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

A couple of good links to check out:

http://www.laspilitas.com/replawn.htm

http://www.cnps.org/cnps/grownative/tips/lawn_alternatives.php

And yes, definitely best with natives to wait until fall, after all our hot temps are done with, and when California natives start their growing cycle. Even your succulents will do better if you plant them either in the fall or early spring.

Patty S.

• BurbankGarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, Patty. That is what my instinct is telling me! We will suffer thru the scorched earth another season.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

If possible I like to wait until the first rain before working the soil or planting California natives. Al

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

I agree with all above. Also, if you have smaller/younger plants, you might want to repot them to something larger and let them develop a bigger root system before putting in the ground.

• BurbankGarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for your helpful responses. I think I've convinced him we need to wait!

• aquilachrysaetos
    10 years ago

Fall is best, but winter and spring are pretty good for me. Summer, nope.

I have almost perfect drainage so I can so spring planting of natives works for me. That's when they are easiest to get.

Natives hate being watered when it's hot but new plants need summer irrigation so I keep an eye on the weather reports and water the night before the coolest day. I water every 5 to 8 days. I think the only thing I planted in the fall was a Matilija poppy. By the next summer, î¼Âi usually can get by with about 2 waterings. The third summer they get along well on their own.

When planting natives I do the 'mud puddle' method and I do not disturb the roots in any way. A lot of natives will just up and die if you disturb the root ball. Matilija poppy is well-known for this but the sumacs also hate root disturbance. I slip them out of the pots very carefully. If you can get them in paper pots, the better because you can stick the pot straight in the hole. I dig a hole barely wider than the ball and set the plant in. Next step: water the snot out of it! While drowning it, I slowly add the soil back in, poking it with my finger to eliminate air pockets and to check how the soil is filling in. After the soil is replaced in the hole, I set the hose on trickle and continue to water for half a day.

This method sounds the opposite of what a native would like but without exception my plants take off right away. The slowest was a sugar bush that sat there for 3 weeks before making lots of new leaves.

Trees also love the be mudded in.

• sagescrubber
    10 years ago

I've had pretty good luck with summer planting -- all of my sages and buckwheats are thriving -- but feel most comfortable planting in winter. I think "fall" recommendations should really imply mid-November on. Not sure the ground is going to be any more forgiving in late Sept or October. And it still can be hot down here in Oct. Sadly, I just gave up on an A. rainbowensis that I planted in late Sept last year after a heat wave. Dumb move. Burned it.