Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanda967

Southern California Roll Call!!!

sanda
16 years ago

Hello, SoCal gardners,

Now that summer is upon us, let's get to know each other. Please tell us a bit about yourself and your interests.

My name is sanda and I live in North OC. I have been gardening since I was a little tot, with my grandma. I couldn't wait to have my own house with a big yard, and in 1999 that dream came true. I am a big fan of tropical settings. You can click on my profile for more info and pics of my yard.

If you are interested in a local plant swap, mikey will have one in Cypress. Look on the exchange forum or click here

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/exch0414353914591.html?3

Take care,

sanda

Here is a link that might be useful: swap

Comments (115)

• miteymo
    16 years ago

Have been a lurker here for many years. Love to garden, but have been working on a MLIS. I am finishing that up and am getting back to the garden, thank goodness. Have purchased some seeds and my husband is rototilling. Like another SoCal gardener, I am not above helping myself to others "leave-ings", so good for the compost pile!! How lucky I am to live in SoCal where one may garden most, if not all, of the year! I also hope to own an apple tree, but I have to be cautious as to the variety. I live virtually on the coast where it is a very low chill clime.

• rawfoodie
    16 years ago

Hi folks! I'm near Balboa Park and hoping to refresh my yard that has mostly been populated by whatever seeds the birds drop and the weather allows to grow. To that end, I was motivated by Gaia's Garden (Toby Hemenway) and would like to move toward permaculture that also produces food.

I've visited the forums here off and on, but finally joined in hopes of having all your brains to pick :) Some of my questions are 1) what foods/herbs can I plant now and where to plant them (I have microclimates) and 2) does anyone have links to permaculture and guild planting forums/discussions here or elsewhere? I'm most interested in perennials, fruit, and self-seeding annuals, along with cover crops to hold the moisture or prep/augment the soil to reduce the need for added nutrients for the successive crop.

Thank you!

• fossel
    15 years ago

Hi, gary from carlsbad(coastal north san diego)I grow banana trees .palms,elephant ears and other tropicals

• inkneedeep
    15 years ago

Hi All...interesting to read all your posts and about your dif. garden styles. I am in Canyon Lake, just east of Lake Elsinore. It is well known by the nurseries around here of being very rocky. I was told at the nursery the other day, that they do alot of planting in CL and ALWAYS bring a jackhammer!
    I grew up gardening in New England...very differant.
    I am focusing on a xeric landscape with Natives, Drought Tollerant and Low water use plants. I also like edible landscaping.
    My business takes up alot of my time, but gardening and plants are my passion. I love working in my yard. I do all the work myself...even the digging, but am not opposed to help...just not in my budget... all my extra $$ goes to adopting plants..Ha Ha! Oh well..I look at it like having a free membership to Outdoor Bootcamp!
    Thanks all for sharing...I now have added many new ideas and plans to my landscape plans!

Sanda..Your yard is impressive, but I am NOT showing my husband... it will give him visions. He is a great visionary, but not a good laborer!

• chudak
    15 years ago

I'm Charles in San Diego.

We always had a garden when I was a kid but this is the first year I've grown a garden at the house I bought 5 years ago.

Last year, I dug out one of my flower beds along the property line that had previously had some decorative gravel in it; the gravel had migrated down into the soil about 8 inches. After digging and screening out all the rock and disposing of it, I turned in about 6-8 inches of compost.

This spring, I looked at all that bare composted soil and decided it would be a good place to put a bunch of herbs.

One thing led to another and now I have the following:

cilantro, italian parsley, mex oregano, dill, savory and basil.

I then planted green and yellow bell peppers, jalapenos, serranos, cherry tomatos, roma tomatoes and some beefsteaks.

After getting the gardening bug in full swing, I added more peppers in pots (habanero, cayenne, poblano, anaheim) and some more herbs in pots (curly parsley, oregano, thyme, lemon thyme, chives).

I also built and setup 2 4x4 SFG's which are planted with the following:

sugar peas, broccoli, eggplant, green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, romaine, marigolds, spinach, scallions, red onions, yellow onions and arugula.

• sanda
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again, everybody!

Almost a year has gone by since I posted this, and my, how this thread has grown!!!
    I am so glad to "meet" such a diverse group of people, sharing their dreams, accomplishments and frustrations here. This is a great site to grow and learn.

Enjoy the warm days of summer in your own back yard paradise!

sanda

• jxc3203
    15 years ago

Hello;
    Jason from Pasadena. New garden web member. I am in the process of installing/upgrading a drip system for our backyard flowering beds. Recently built 2 - 4'x4'x12" boxes. Goal is to have year round vegetables. Any suggestions for fall/early winter veges? Thanks.

• ladyslppr
    15 years ago

Jason,
    I think your question is a good one, but you'll get far more response by starting a new thread. I recommend you post again under a heading like "what winter veggies work in So Cal?" and see what you get.

• jxc3203
    15 years ago

Ok, good idea. I'll try starting a new thread...

• shipwrek
    15 years ago

Hi I'm shipwrek & I'm in coasal Orange Co.
    I've never been a very good "plant person" so I was a little nervous when I planted my first garden as an adult in a 21ft X 21in flower bed-green beans, strawberries, jalapenos, red & yellow bell peppers, 4 kinds of tomatoes, carrots, radishes, eggplant, zucchini, lemongrass, dill, basil & mint all made it. The arugula, spinach, onions & tarragon did not! I am glad I found this so I can get the advice I need!
    I am not really into flower gardening, but I do have some tropicals in our front yard, mostly in containers. Palms, giant bird of paradise, plumeria & hybiscus (one which I just lost-no idea why) & one orchid are thriving in spite of my ignorance.
    I am looking forward to taking advantage of all of your expertise.

• cabrita
    15 years ago

Hello hello gardening compadres, cabrita here, gardens in the San Gabriel valley  Altadena - and north east LA (zones 9 and 10 or 21 and 23), nice to meet yÂall.

I really really love vegetables. I donÂt eat them just because they are good for you; I adore the flavor of most vegetables. Until about 3 years ago, I always thought I had a black thumb. Maybe my thumb changed, (lucky) or I am keeping better company, because we grow practically all the veggies and fruits we eat, and I am starting on the grains and legumes next. I feel blessed since there is nothing like the taste of a heirloom tomato, or the scent of a fresh carrot being pulled out of the ground. Did you ever taste a pot of fresh black eye peas? In this climate we are harvesting all year aroundÂ.and you can even grow artichokes, yeah!

I have been harvesting my own seeds for lots of vegetables and herbs. I love doing this because it naturally selects the seeds best suited to our growing conditions/climate. The plants from the seeds I harvest seem to always do better. I am already swapping seeds with folks all over the country, but I would be more interested in LOCAL seed swaps. So take a look at my list and see if there is anything you like?

We have several fruit trees (citrus, stone, loquat, figs) and a pecan tree. Sometimes the fruit gets overwhelming but we learned to can and this helps, plus more yummy things in the pantryÂ.

I also like herbs and I am getting into some medicinal herbs, as well as pest control herbs. Organic gardening and companion planting is what I do, but despite our success feeding ourselves, we have a lot of pests problems too. I would like to exchange information on organic methods of pest control. If you know how to get rid of harlequin beetles, please let me know!

• craig_in_ca
    15 years ago

Hi!
    I thought I'd check in and say hi from Mission Viejo.

I'm mostly interested in antique roses but I have a hand full of miniature roses.

Recently I started growing 11 apple trees in a planter. They are arranged as a belgian fence. This has been rather fun and very rewarding.

Rather than listing the plants, there are pics in my album below.

Happy gardening.

Craig

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

• othercalifornia
    15 years ago

Hiya! I'm new.I live in Perth, Western Australia which in temperatures seems to be a lot like maybe Sacramento? except not >quiteI am 18 months into changing a neglected,large, quite bare suburban backyard with our sandy soil into hopefully a shady place with lots of spring blossom and deciduous ornamental trees, with a little summer watering. Hope i can help somebody sometime as i gain experience, i've only just started "doing" really but i've read heaps and have a strange thing where i remember the latin species names.(????)

hm one thing i do know if anyone wants to try these: in this kind of climate the beautiful purple leafed ornamental plums, prunus cerasifera nigra and prunus blireana, are fantastic. To be safe, give a deep water now and then in summer. Almost black purple foliage which glows fiery claret in the light. and i think the blossoms smell exactly like grape flavoured bubble gum. heh bye.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

This forum meant nothing to me till I ran across a post from Arthur in Indio. We share a HOT desert climate, and he is a gentleman farmer! I thought I was alone out here! No more! Thanks for this forum. It's a great place to hook up with local gardeners and swap ideas and whatever!! Great Forum!! My best suggestion is if you find someone close to your area, go to their page and email them all about you. You might be surprised!!

• thinking_stomach
    15 years ago

Howdy! My name is Christina, and my husband and I just moved from Pasadena to Altadena. In Pasadena, I had little room to grow the edible yard we both wanted, and now in Altadena, we have more room that we could have imagined. I grow all sorts of heirloom veggies; with the new house and its large lot, I'm also looking forward to growing much of our fruit. I haunt all the Kitchen Garden forums, soaking up as much info as possible.

I keep a blog about growing food and cooking it. If you want to know more about my garden and gardening/food interests, you can check it out at the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: A Thinking Stomach

• Mark Fellman
    15 years ago

Mark in Mar Vista. I recently started a Lasagna vege garden, lettuces, peas, herbs, radishes and beets for now. Trying to find more rare fruits. I have tropicals, bromeliads, orchids, plumeria, tillandsias, bananas, koi, tortoises, bamboo, gingers, heliconias, cycads, etc.
    Always looking for info and trades.
    Thanks!

• jll0306
    15 years ago

Hello, from Jan/Jill (it's Jan, but everyone reads my login as Jill) in Morongo Valley. I imagine I am near DesertDance, probably, and not too very far from Arthur in Indio.

We live in on a third of an acre in a grove of old mesquite trees. Their shade enables me to grow all sorts of veggies that wouldn't otherwise survive the 110 F temps of August.
    My current gardening passion is heirloom tomatoes. I have far more starts than I will be able to raise to maturity, so if there's anyone out there who would like to pick up some plants, drop me an email and I'll send you the variety list.

• miteymo
    15 years ago

Happy New Year

I live in San Pedro very near the ocean. I can see it from my back yard. I love to garden, but oftentimes let the weeds get the best of me. Since I finished my MLIS, I have more time to fight them and more time to plant. I am expecting a delivery of apple trees from Trees of Antiquity next week. I would like to espalier these trees. I love potagers too. I love flowers and veges!

I also have grand plans for a knot garden, but nothing has come to fruition yet. Maybe this will be the year.

Happy New Year to all and Happy Gardening!

• iheartdl
    15 years ago

Hi there. I'm Leslie, a newbie in Simi Valley. We have a small lot, so my focus so far has been amending our clay-ey soil and planting beds of perennials mixed with annuals--not to mention learning, learning, learning. I'm super excited (probably unnaturally so) to have just planted my first bareroot rose and am planning a veggie garden.
    I'm thoroughly enjoying reading on the GW!

• kittymoonbeam
    15 years ago

Many types of roses and camellias. I like most any perfumed flowers such as gardenias or sweet peas. I have a big sweet olive tree that I adore the fragrance of in the evening. I also like to grow fruit trees and strawberries.
    Wish I could plant on the rooftop! That's the only area that isn't green when you see the property on the online photo view map.

• ravens_voice
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Raven, and I live in the Antelope Valley, which I believe is a zone 9. I'm abso-brand-spanking-new to having a food garden, and thrilled about it. I'll be very very interested in hearing from others with experience about soil amendment, about raised-bed gardening, about gray-water reclamation for irrigation, about drip irrigation systems on the cheap, and so on.

I'm going to germinate seeds for honeydew melon, roma tomatoes, some mystery pole beans and bell peppers this week (or trying to germinate them, in any case) for the first little 3" square raised bed DH and I will build next month, with any luck.

Great to meet you all, I"ll be going back and reading all the posts here in a bit. Right now I'm pretty overwhelmed!

• Christine Decker
    15 years ago

Hi all! I am Christine from Temecula (wine country).
    We have 5 acres and we grow fuyu persimmons, pumelos, oranges,
    lemons, grapefruit, apples, cherries, pears, walnuts, apricot,
    peaches, and we just started our vineyard (mostly table grapes) and figs! When we aren't busy in the orchards, I love roses and have 2 large rose gardens (one regular and one miniature) We also grow all our own veggies from seed.
    (lettuce, cucs, tomatoes, carrots,peppers, herbs, beans, peas,
    cauliflower, broccoli and I am getting tire of typing so if you can buy it at the market, we probably grow it. We do this for our two families (me, hubby and sons, my Mom and Dad) and for friend, neighbors and the local food pantry.
    I especially love the veggie garden and the roses!
    Happy New year and Happy Gardening!

• raksha
    15 years ago

Re >>Hi, I'm Raven, and I live in the Antelope Valley, which I believe is a zone 9. I'm abso-brand-spanking-new to having a food garden, and thrilled about it. I'll be very very interested in hearing from others with experience about soil amendment, about raised-bed gardening, about gray-water reclamation for irrigation, about drip irrigation systems on the cheap, and so on.
    I'm going to germinate seeds for honeydew melon, roma tomatoes, some mystery pole beans and bell peppers this week (or trying to germinate them, in any case) for the first little 3" square raised bed DH and I will build next month, with any luck.Hey girlfriend!!! I bet I know where you got those mystery pole bean and Roma tomato seeds. :) Which reminds me...didn't I say I was going to start some this week? It's the old story--I got distracted by about a hundred things at the same time.

I was actually doing a search on "Douglas iris seeds" when I stumbled across your post. So far, ONE seed out of the 20 I'm trying to start has actually germinated, one rotted and the rest are just sitting there laughing at me. They were started on November 23rd, so I've been waiting a long time. I think I should probably stick them in the refrigerator for a few weeks to cold-treat them.

--Linda

• Laura thegardenpages
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Laura. I live in the San Fernando valley part of LA. I've been lurking around for a few years. There is lots of great info on the forums for you!

Water is becoming such a problem here, I've been focusing on planting California natives and other drought tolerant shrubs, and of course succulent plants, they're so easy to propagate and do so well here (no spines either). :)

• porewit
    15 years ago

Hi folks. I'm new here, have referenced these forums many times over the past couple of years and thought I might as well get in on it. We currently live on top of a canyon in Clairemont, San Diego. Good-sized yard, poor soil- but it's getting better. Have gardened off and on since I was a kid and consider myself lucky to have done so for about ten years here. My focus is herbs and vegetables. It's been a weird winter. I still have an asian eggplant producing in January. But mostly I concentrate on peppers. Mostly serranos and any variety of habanero that'll take. I did have a good black-eyed pea harvest this year. Now if I could find a plant that grows beer and ham hocks to go along with it, I'd be sittin' pretty. Anyway- best to you, and take it easy!

• hoping4fruit
    15 years ago

Hi I'm Alicia and I live in escondido. We currently are growing a Hass avacado, orange, Elberta Peach, Ruby Red grapefruit, Manilla Mango, Golden Dorasett and Ein Shemer. This will be our first winter and were hoping they will all make it. I've lurked for awhile and decided to finally join.

• emerald26
    15 years ago

This is Norah from Pasadena. I just began experiments with my small patio (I hope I have a big yard now!!!!). I love roses and all sun-lovers (though my patio is partial shade). Look forward to learning from everyone!

• barbiekemp
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm Barb, and I'm brand new here. I'm 2 miles north of Disneyland, in Anaheim. I moved to Clairemont, San Diego, then to Julian, in San Diego County, and back to the same house here in Anaheim. What a big difference in gardening those 3 areas are!

I raise mostly veg and fruit trees, with a heavy emphasis towards subtropicals, but also do orchids and bromeliads. Crazy about tropical fruit and nuts. I've tried just about everything in the last 20 years, but am NO expert on anything. Some years, it works, and some years, it doesn't. I'm here to improve my gardening know-how, and feed a big family of 6 adults.

• James McNulty
    14 years ago

Dear Scarlett 2001
    Sorry I never saw your posting in 2007. Don't know that you will see this one either. Tried to send you email directly through your page link, but it will not work.
    This was in reference to Glen Eden near Corona. Yes you are welcome (see comment in middle of page from Jimnginger).
    Please email me and I will provide details.
    Jim McNulty or jimnginger

• temiha
    14 years ago

Hi everyone, my name is Teri and I have been on the Harvesting forum a lot in the recent weeks and I am very interested in starting my own garden, but a bit hesitant because of all the work. Here in the AV (Antelope Valley) we have very hot summers and very cold winters, so I am a bit of a whoos about the outdoors, but the idea of my own fresh produce sounds so wonderful. I do have a house full of plants, 2 in particular tower 6 and 9 feet tall. So I know I can grow things, but how much work I want to put into it after a commute of 1 1/2 hours to and then another 1 1/2 hours home after an 8 hour day...sorry, I didn't mean to go off.
    Glad to meet everyone and I hope to keep reading about you all.

• paynefv
    12 years ago

Hi my name is Theresa and I live in Fountain Valley(near the beach). I am in need of help on a tree planting issue for my backyard. I can't decide what to plant. I have a mountain themed yard with many cypress trees and am looking to put in a shade tree in the center. I would like something that does not go dormant. Any suggestions. Thanks to all for your input.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Theresa, it would be better for you to start a new thread with your question. That way people will see it.
    Renee

• lgteacher
    12 years ago

I am an Orange County gardener with a drought tolerant font yard, a little lawn in back, 2 raised beds for veggies (SFG), a vertical succulent thing-a-ma-jig, a full-sized Valencia orange tree, a tiny Myer lemon, and a few pots on the patio. I've just gotten into this within a past 5- 6 years.

I'm near South Coast Plaza,as is one of the gardeners posted above. Try the classes at Flowerdale nursery. Carlos is the best teacher. (I don't work there, I'm just a fan.)

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

• psient
    10 years ago

HI:

I'm in Riverside. I've been gardening here for over 25 years.

Most of my effort is in vegetable gardening. I love tomatoes.

10 years ago

I moved from a golf course in Coachella Valley to a microclimate on a huge rocky hillside in Riverside County land overlooking Hemet.

We have gone crazy being able to plant things as we wish without the evil HOA peering over our shoulders.

I am enjoying rescuing fruit trees that were here, and planting more. Veggies are in the works, but the rescue, the vineyard, the new fruit trees, and roses have priority.

Suzi

10 years ago

temiha, Artichokes planted in fall will grow for you!

Suzi

• Charlene Mason Gallego
    9 years ago

Checking in from beautiful, yet windy and dry Tujunga. I have had many questions answered on this site over the years and now that I have my plot of earth to do with what I want, I will be a more active member.
    We have just over a 1/2 acre of raw land, meaning rocks, dirt and more rocks.
    I do have some mature trees that seem very robust. 5 Olive trees 90 to 100 years old, two apple trees, 5 citrus trees in pots. My first growing season failed miserable because of ground squirrel and gophers.
    This season I have adopted a dog to help deter critters and everything I put in the ground gets a wire cage(hardtack cloth) around it for protection. I had my husband help me build a raised bed for veggies and as soon as the Santa Ana Winds die down I will transplant all my seedlings.
    My garden style is rustic/cottage with a strong leaning towards native plantings to attract wildlife.
    Happy Gardening SoCal!
    Charlene

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flickr

• Lundy48
    9 years ago

Im in 29 palms. Anyone think they can help me make my bouganviellas blossom? Also have alot of questions about pruning my oleanders.

• chachacharlie
    9 years ago

Aloha everyone! I'm in Santa Monica and I love tropicals! I have a big garden with lots of Bromeliads, Hawaiian Ti (my favorite), King Palms, Arecas, Lady palms, Cat palms, Crotons, Bougainvilleas, Sagos, several Agave Attenuata, Birds of Paradise both giant and small. I'm pretty much addicted to anything tropical. I like lush gardens with lots of color and texture. I am now growing several Ti plant cuttins I brought from Hawaii a couple of weeks ago and they are already rooting and growing new leaves and will be planted in soil this coming weekend.

• ilovegardening
    9 years ago

Hello from Arcadia, in the beautiful San Gabriel Valley. The beautiful...HOT San Gabriel Valley, where the temperature has been at or above 100 for several days now--and it's only May!

My gardening style is all over the map. My property has many fruit trees (lemon, oranges, mulberries, fig, avocado), lots of roses, huge bougainvilleas, gardenias, camellias, and two huge flower beds filled with various perennials.

• Lundy48
    9 years ago

Im in 29 palms. Anyone think they can help me make my bouganviellas blossom? Also have alot of questions about pruning my oleanders.

{{!gwi}}

• pforrester
    9 years ago

Pam in Fallbrook...north San Diego County. Just east of Camp Pendleton.

• wcgypsy
    9 years ago

Hi, Pam! Ships passing in the night...lol..I just left Fallbrook after 30-some years there. If you can still get water, you can grow just about anything in the world there...the thing I miss most is my persimmon trees. Do not miss the fires and high water bills....
    Sherry

• wcgypsy
    9 years ago

Hi, Pam! Ships passing in the night...lol..I just left Fallbrook after 30-some years there. If you can still get water, you can grow just about anything in the world there...the thing I miss most is my persimmon trees. Do not miss the fires and high water bills....
    Sherry

• akarinz
    6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would say Happy 4th to everyone in So CAL. My garden is doing better this year, since our water restrictions have lightened up a bit. I planted some French pumpkins, but they seem to have a hard time taking off. I made a PVC tomato cage thanks to the design of a fellow gardener here in Glendora. So far three tomato plants are doing well. The last 4 years have had a terrible problem with red spider mites, keeping my fingers crossed.

• la_kitty
    6 years ago

Hi, everyone. I'm in Los Angeles and my garden consists of drought tolerant plantings in the front and parkway. I've almost extinguished all of my grass! My backyard garden consists of tomatoes, artichokes, cardone, fruit trees, camelias and herbs. The side garden to the north of my CA bungalow consists of azaleas, tree ferns and kafir lilies. I'm in Sunset Zone 22.

• Elsbeth Schey Weissman
    6 years ago

Els here from South Pasadena! I've been gardening my whole life and have recently replanted the front yard of the apartment complex I manage with the largest garden I've ever been in charge of. Just reseeded in hopes of late summer set of greens and beets--I also tried corn and some basic beans I had managed to neglect during the first go around. I have two tomato plants weighted down with green tomatoes, even after a night of fried green tomatoes. Why won't they turn?? This heat is something else--our afternoon sun is just too much. I actually have a substantial watermelon on the vine that I am really looking forward to. Our soil is hard dirt with pea gravel, rocks, and other random construction materials but I a, slowly amending it. Not bad for our test year. I'd love to do some sort of exchange with anyone local...I'm looking for a seed potato supply, raspberry plants, or anyone with access to lots of apples for my hard cider brewing problem.

• akarinz
    6 years ago

Els can you share some pictures of your garden?

• Elsbeth Schey Weissman
    6 years ago

I have two sides going so far--lots of seedlings going in the areas that look bare.

side 1 (this was the 1st side I did back in March):

And this is side 2 (I had a bunch of herbs and potatoes but decided to go above ground with those (I just threw together the wood planters from scraps we had laying around-now ISO soil):

I have corn, greens, beans, and a few other sprouts coming up--I threw the straw down (from when I cleared our side yard in May) to give them a bit of shade and extra water---this side gets like 6 hours of INTENSE sun this time of year (especially this year). I have some raspberries to plant in the back corner on side 2--I'd love to have a little berry patch. But through research I've found very few varieties grow in a 10a zone (this part is all new to me)

Those retaining wall planters are my next big project but the dirt is so compacted I can't even dig---but I'm thinking of just top filling it after I pull everything...just can bring myself to get rid of all my aloe and succulents that grow up in the shade. I'd love to do something vertical...

(Side 1)

(Side 2)

This is the first year I'm doing this---I pulled the existing shrubs (2 10 year old hibiscus, a 10 year old rosemary, among others) all by hand and turned the soil myself---my husband's around to help but it's mostly a project I've taken on myself. I'd like to get a bit more organized as far as what grows where and when, more vertical growth, etc...one thing at a time I suppose.

I've shown you mine--who's showing theirs?

(I apologize for any typos, I didn't proofread this)