Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laburnum x watererei 'Vossii'

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 17:47

I don't usually see one of these trees around these parts, even more rare to see 4 planted as street trees in a garden here in the Berkeley hills. It seems strange to me that this tree has such a disparate climate adaptability, Sunset says zones 1-10 and 14-17, which means it isn't good anywhere down south. I remember seeing classic English and European garden photos with pergolas or allees planted with these, but it is quite rare to see this tree here in the SF Bay Area. I suspect it is somewhat short-lived here, anyone growing this long term to be able to say? Simply gorgeous in bloom at the moment, remind me a bit of the tropical Cassia fistula in bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laburnum x watererei 'Vossii' in bloom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laburnum x watererei 'Vossii'

The first time I saw the photos of the Laburnum Tunnel at Bodnant I thought "I must have that, even if it is as difficult to control as wisteria." Turns out I have to move. I can't think of any better reason to relocate than the ability to grow laburnum. The orchid-colored globe alliums that they grow along the sides just makes it all the more stunning. I like the little trees- I would plant them everywhere, even if they only lived a few years!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bodnant Laburnum Tunnel

o
RE: Laburnum x watererei 'Vossii'

I guess it is from higher elevations and doesn't like too much heat? I remember they had it planted in the student parking area at the NYBG and removed them because they just weren't happy or attractive. Not sure how they do in other parts of the east coast because they aren't common there either.

Thanks for that image of them at Bodnant. Makes me wish I was going to have time to visit Wales when I go to England later this week. The Laburnum walk I first heard of was the famous one that Rosemary Verey planted at Barnsley House underplanted with Allium aflatuense. Kew has a Laburnum walk in their Queens garden behind Kew Palace and the employees remove all the seed pods so children won't eat them. All parts of the plant are supposed to be very poisonous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here