Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Walking/Egyptian Onions

CA Kate z9
9 years ago

Apparently Walking Onions love my yard. I was cleaning gardens today and found 5 - yes 5 - large, shallow pots full of these interesting onions. So, what does one do with them? How do I use them in cooking? Culinary help would be most appreciated.

Comments (5)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

I had never heard of this plant so I did some research. I love edibles in my garden, so thanks for asking the question.

Sounds like an amazing onion. All parts are edible.

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking with Walking Onions

9 years ago

I was wondering if they would grow in my zone, and I see that you are in Fresno which is very similar to my zone, so I bit the bullet and ordered 15 plants on Ebay.

Do yours get much water? I can plant them on our front slope that has sprinklers, or in an area with drip.

Suzi

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info and the link.

My onions were everywhere at the old house. I put a bunch of them in large, shallow pots to bring to the new one. After two years of total neglect they are thriving. I only found one straggler in the ground around the pots. They got watered in summer every other day; in winter once a week.

The tops get a bundle of bulblets then get leaves and all before dropping to the ground. I had the wild idea of deep frying the whole octopus-looking thing..... sort of an onion calimari.

I do know that you're suppose too always leave the Mother Plant and eat/use the babies - either small or planted to grow larger.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info and the link.

My onions were everywhere at the old house. I put a bunch of them in large, shallow pots to bring to the new one. After two years of total neglect they are thriving. I only found one straggler in the ground around the pots. They got watered in summer every other day; in winter once a week.

The tops get a bundle of bulblets then get leaves and all before dropping to the ground. I had the wild idea of deep frying the whole octopus-looking thing..... sort of an onion calimari.

I do know that you're suppose too always leave the Mother Plant and eat/use the babies - either small or planted to grow larger.

9 years ago

I'm excited about this edible discovery. Wow! You want to deep fry the entire thing? Can I come to dinner?

I also read that the heads make really awesome additions to flower arrangements. Definitely a conversation starter!

Suzi