Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

I love the little Japanese eggplants

hosenemesis
10 years ago

I'm eating my first eggplants of the season. If you don't normally enjoy eggplant, I suggest you try the little tiny purple Japanese ones. Sometimes they are called Ichiban at the nursery. They are crisp and sweet, not pithy and spongy. They can be eaten raw. I saute them and put them on noodles or couscous. Once they really get going, I will make ratatouille with eggplant, yellow pattypan squash, red bell peppers, and tomatoes. I have to buy the onions and garlic this year. Epicurious has a fantastic recipe.
Renee

Comments (11)

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And that is what I have to say on the subject.

• wcgypsy
    10 years ago

I love them also and I was so annoyed when the 6-packs I bought last year were labeled wrong and were NOT the Japanese. That was from my most convenient source here in town and I'll make sure not to buy from them again. I need to check and see if they ordered those from the same grower that has been distributing a salvia canariensis for several years that is NOT s. canariensis.. I've noticed it at Armstrong's,Temecula... Plant Depot in San Juan Capistrano and the hardware store here in town,... not sure how far and wide their sales reach.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have had the same problem with the eggplants from a number of places and I just pulled out two plants that were not as labeled. It's very frustrating when you have limited space. It's the growers who are at fault- they send out this mislabeled stuff to the retailers.

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

You've inspired me, hose'. I haven't ever grown Japanese Eggplants, but I don't think it's too late to do so this year.

Gypsy: I planted 4 jalapeño peppers from 3 different sources. One is jalapeño; two have 6" long, thin yellow peppers that aren't hot, but are prolific; and one has jalapeño shaped peppers but they are pointed up and their heat has yet to be determined. I guess if one wants something specific one will have to buy the seeds and grow them from scratch.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have that happen with peppers too. And cucumbers! So frustrating- so I have been starting cukes from seed.

• wcgypsy
    10 years ago

Well.....I don't know what to think...I've not thought of eggplant as being a perennial, but.....for the last couple of years, I've been growing my eggplant, French beans, etc in 5 gal pots and now I have eggplant coming up again in the pots from last year...the mis-labeled eggplant...lol..

So, either they're returning or there were seeds in the soil...it will give me another chance to see if any of those could be the Japanese eggplant....lol..

• peebee1
    10 years ago

I've posted about this before, but the reason we are all getting mislabeled plants might be cuz of what I witnessed at a Home Depot once: a kid bored out of his mind while his parents shopped, ran around plucking labels from veggie 6-packs and randomly switched them around. He was doing this to hot & sweet peppers! Ever since then, I have been growing my vegetables from seed. Its not that hard and its the only way to know for sure.

Eggplants & peppers can live for at least 2 yrs in our climate here.The secret to reviving eggplants is to prune them in half when they have stopped producing mid-season, and fertilizing well at that time. You will see new growth soon.

I love the Japanese eggplants too!

• wcgypsy
    10 years ago

I'll see what happens with mine...as I recall, I was so disgusted that I just let them die in the pots....and here they are, back again....lol..

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

We just ate our latest two Japanese Eggplants. It the first time I've ever been able to get a usable vegetable off any variety of Eggplant. Thanks once again for suggesting growing them.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good news, Westelle! I'm glad you like them. I'm still harvesting mine.

• tierra
    10 years ago

Delicious. I sliced them lengthwise and grilled them in a grill pan on the stove. Before grilling, marinate eggplant slices for 30 minutes in the following sauce (from the internet somewhere):

ü cup honey
    ü cup vegetable or peanut oil
    ü cup fresh lemon juice
    ü cup soy sauce
    ý tsp. minced garlic
    ü tsp. red pepper flakes

Drain off the marinade. Fan the eggplant out on a platter and drizzle with more marinade.

Yummmmmmm