Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed or flower seedling?

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 18:58

I made a new flower bed this spring and scattered a couple of flower mixes (one for part shade, one for sun, in an experiment to see what does well where) and now the seedlings are gaining size and I'm wondering which are from the mix and which are weeds. The only ones I can recognize are the poppies and nasturtiums, the rest are a mystery to me. The mixes both had about a dozen varieties, so if someone would like me to list them I will but I'll wait until I'm asked since it'll be time consuming.

Here are the photos:

Seedling #1:
 photo seedling1.jpg

Seedling #2:
 photo seedling2.jpg

Seedling #3:
 photo seedling3.jpg

Seedling #4:
 photo seedling4.jpg

Seedling #5:
 photo seedling5.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed or flower seedling?

#2 looks an awful lot like pigweed....does it smell when crushed? Pigweed smells nasty.

o

#2 is probably Clarkia unguiculata.

o

That would be a lot better than pigweed!

o

Clarkia unguiculata is in one of the mixes (made in the shade) and I didn't notice a smell so I think that's what it is. Yay! One more seedling I can be sure I planted intentionally.

Could #5 possibly be Papaver rhoeas? I think it looks a bit like the images I saw on google, I was looking to see if you could tell between them and California poppies as seedlings. One of the mixes has P. rhoeas with 'Shirley Poppy' as the common name while the other has it as 'Corn Poppy,' can I expect any difference in color?

o

Yes, #2 looks like clarkia to me too. And yes, #5 looks like a poppy to me, as does #4. The others are unfamiliar.

o

I agree #4 and #5 look like poppies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here