Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfguy

Cantua Buxifolia and Salvia Waverly

SFGuy
11 years ago

In another thread, Bahia recommended Cantua Buxifolia as an excellent hummingbird plant. I immediately put it down on my list of must-haves after seeing some photos, only to strike it off just as quickly when I read some web sources stating that it could take several years to flower. So imagine my shock and surprise when I stumbled upon these babies at the Halfmoon Bay Nursery, already burstin' with mama's color!:

{{gwi:534221}}

Of course I snatched up two of them right on the spot, even though I wasn't really prepared. I would like to put each one of them in the center of a brick planter bed like you see below:

{{gwi:534222}}

Do you guys think one plant will fill this bed nicely? Also, the previous owner of my house put some wire mesh underneath the bed to keep critters at bay. Is there any reason this would cause The Buxi Twins to dislike their new beds? I really don't feel like removing the mesh. Also, I read they like rich, fertile soil. Should I buy some compost or can I just put some Maxsea fertilizer on them? How long can I leave them in their original black pots before they start to complain? Oh, should I water them? It was really hot today so I gave them a quick swig even though I understand they don't like to drink too much.

On another note, I also picked up this beauty (Salvia Waverly) in Halfmoon Bay:

{{gwi:534224}}

I knew absolutely nothing about Waverly, but I really liked the subtle colors, and since it was a Salvia I figured it would be good for hummingbirds (I really wanted to get Salvia Guaranitica Black and Blue or Salvia Involucrata but they didn't have any). Subsequent research indicates that Waverly is a good-but-not-great hummingbird plant. Oh well, since I really don't want to waste space on anything that has less than maximum hummingbird suction power, I may relegate Waverly to my garden out front where he can wave at the passerbys.

Comments (7)