Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New lilies blooming (pics)

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 10 at 20:20

Hi all,
I have two new lilies blooming this year, and I am so happy with them.
Asiatic Lily Centerfold actually looks green in the garden. I wish I had bought more:
Photobucket
Photobucket

Orange Electric Asiatic Lily is my favorite- it took me three years of online ordering to actually get the right lily. I have half-dead Oriental lilies all over the yard from disreputable lily suppliers, but finally, an Orange Electric:
Photobucket

And white Asiatic Lilies with Showbiz roses are an old favorite:
Photobucket

Of course, none of these flowers will last until our party on Memorial Day. Ah well.
Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New lilies blooming (pics)

Renee .... keep those pics coming!

o

Lilies are my favorite. Thanks Renee. You got any orientals to show us ;)
I can't grow them due to squirrels.

o

Very pretty, especially like the centers on your lilies!

o

Borderbarb- be careful what you wish for. I'm supposed to be constructing web sites (which mostly involves data entry and linking) and so I have LOTS of time in front of the computer to goof off until summer school starts.

Gobluedjm- Bury them in cages. That's what I do in the veggie garden. Small chicken wire UNDER the dirt (gophers, ground squirrels), larger pigwire or concrete reinforcing wire ON the dirt (raccoons, oppossums and cats), then hoops of wire OVER the dirt (birds, squirrels, rats). Those ancient Roman architects got nuthin' on me...

Sometimes I just line a hole with screen, plant, then put another piece on top and mulch. Then you just have to keep the chickens from eating the leaves.

Renee

o

My problems with squirrels is they eat the flower and sometimes the plant...nothing to die off the bulb dies.

o

Cheese and rice. That kind of depredation by rodents makes me feel just a little bit of blood lust.
I'll post photos, gobluedjm.
Renee

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 21, 10 at 1:05

Lovely flowers! I have some lillies but the buds are just appearing. It will be a while yet for flowers.

Funny how I got them, at the SC Plaza garden show last year two women from Holland came over with boxes and boxes of lily bulbs to sell. I think it is how they financed their California vacation--selling bulbs. None of the lilys turned out to be what they were supposed to be, but the lilys reappeared this year and are already 4' tall, so that's good enough for me.

o

My only neighbor who passes my house, stopped and asked if my garden would look as good in June. When I asked why, he said his daughter was getting married and they were having the reception at his house. Are you sure you cannot move your party forward? Just kidding, your garden in beautiful. Al

o

Love both the lilies. Where did you finally get the correct Orange Electric Asiatic Lily? I think my Black Beauty is not as labeled.

And what is the pink gaura-looking plant? TIA

o

Irisgal, I finally got the lilies at Roger's Gardens prepackaged. It's amazing how seldom you get the lilies you bought.

The pink plant is elegant clarkia- on the seed packet it said it was double ruffled peach. It's single in dark pink.

I think I'll join the bandwagon- in the course schedule it might say I teach Western Civ, but once have them in the seats I'm going to lecture on tall bearded irises.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here