Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kalanchoe beharensis 'Fang' Care in Stockton, CA

Posted by bellpepperguy CA (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 20:21

I am new to this plant but I absolutely love the look of it and I want to do all I can to keep it healthy. If anyone can offer advice on the following questions it would be greatly appreciated.
1.) I am a total rookie when it comes to these so I would like to know if this plant looks to be in good health? If not do you have any suggestions for turning it around?

2.) Since I've had it I've simply been gently pulling the dead leaves off and leaving them around the root base to give them a chance to propagate. I used used some plant food when I first planted it and will be testing the soil moisture to avoid overwatering going forward. Is this strategy enough or should I know more about proper trimming habits or anything else I'm not mentioning?

3.) I live in Northern California and while it is rare we do have a weekend or two in the winter where the temp gets around 30 degrees. This is planted in a spot that has protection from wind but I am not sure if I should plan on covering these during the winter to avoid cold damage. Thoughts?

Thanks all for any help you can offer.

Pics here:
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/Graakk/Plants/IMG_0896.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/Graakk/Plants/IMG_0898.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/Graakk/Plants/IMG_0900.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kalanchoe beharensis 'Fang' Care in Stockton, CA

bellpepperguy, if you copy and paste the HTML code in, instead of this link to the jpg, you'll post the photos right in your message :-)

Patty S.

o

All for you Patty S

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Your growing it well out of its zone..but the valley heat makes up for light frost damage.
I would do all I could to protect it when winter temps hit into the 20's. Cover or use bulbs to heat..
If your in the the bay area..thats a great spot you picked to gather more warmth. I have one that has done well...despite TWICE having a bad person pick off every single leaf.
I might have to move it a third time...

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 24, 11 at 23:50

Believe it or not, best success here with morning sun and afternoon shade--it holds more foliage that way. Neighbor has his in all day-dappled shade, and it looks better than mine. All day sun, most of the foliage falls off.

Just my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here