Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Bark chunks vs shredded redwood mulch

Tmnca
10 years ago

Last summer we bought a townhouse with front and back patios/walkways surrounded by border gardens - which were barren patches without even many weeds growing in them and 2 hugely overgrown shrubs inconveniently positioned. I toiled to loosen the soil as deep as I could (it is still severely compacted and drainage is poor) and added compost, turned and planted perennials. I mulched with shredded redwood, which looked pretty nice but a lot of it is now turned into the soil by watering, planting new plants, and moving some around. Some areas still have very compacted soil and the plants are struggling.

The shredded redwood was recommended on this forum, but in the front outside our fence I used some bark chunks which look really nice, and one thing I don't like about the shredded redwood is that it sticks to my cats' fur and gets tracked inside - they have a cat proof patio in back and like to lay among the cat-safe plants. I need to add more mulch for appearance and weed control and I was thinking of going with the bark chunks on top of the remaining think layer of shredded redwood.

Is there any reason shredded redwood is better than bark chunks for improving the soil, keeping down weeds, and retaining soil moisture?

What are the pros and cons of shredded redwood vs bark chunks (mini or regular size). I don't liken dyed mulch of ay kind, these are all natural wood products.

Comments (5)

• manifest
    10 years ago

The shredded redwood breaks down much faster and much more evenly than bark chips. It also retains more moisture because there is more surface area with the shredded fibers of the bark vs. the outside surface of the bark chips. I find that I usually have to replace shredded bark every year, which I don't mind doing as I look at it as part of garden maintenance.

The advantages of bark chips is that it takes longer to break down over time and you will have to replace it less often. People also find it more attractive, but it is more expensive than the shredded bark.

• socks
    10 years ago

My DH and I had this discussion on the way home from dinner tonight! We decided the shredded stuff is really meant for mulching planters and the chunks for pathways. I'm redoing our shade garden and will use the shredded, but the chunks should be helpful and fine to use to keep the kitties from dragging in stuff. Lucky kitties to have their own outdoor area.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the shredded mulch may have retained too much water over the winter rains anyway - I had to remove some from around my lavenders which were getting moldy, the drainage is still poor in many places.

Yes the kitties are lucky and happy to have a safe outdoor space now - they used to have a screened porch in our rental cottage for years, then we bought a condo which had no outdoor area. They definitely missed watching birds and squirrels.

Here they are enjoying their "catio" planted with herbs sages and other cat-safe plants :)

Some of these were taken before I added the mulch, when plants were pretty new last summer. Now they have grown but I'm battling whiteflies on most of it - sticky traps have not been very effective :(

{{gwi:535009}}

{{gwi:535012}}

{{gwi:535014}}

• socks
    10 years ago

Have you tried blasting off the white fly with a jet of water? I remember that helped a hibiscus I had once.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the bark chunks worked out great, because HD had a sale on the natural bark nuggets - 4 bags for $10! That's less than half what I paid for the shredded redwood last year, and it looks great :)