Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
La Quinta

Posted by mickeyperreaud z9AZ (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 22:27

Is there any gardeners that live in or near La Quinta?
Regards,
Mickey
kyleaz@earthlink.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: La Quinta

We won't be here long. Moving mid June. Why do you ask? We grow wine grapes, olive trees, citrus, figs, pomegranates, roses, and all things Mediterranean...squeezed in anywhere possible hidden from the snoopy eyes of the HOA.

We had a 5 year old jalapeno that we loved, but the spider mites and leaf miners got it.

We are gradually moving all of our plants to the new property. Pom's are gone as are some figs.

o

I'm sure that you are going to think that I am nuts but I am trying to get some cuttings of an oleander that we saw there. I should have insisted that my husband stop or go back to get them but we were there on business.
The oleander are almost white with a tinge of pink, like a blush. They are on Eisenhower Street on a corner. They have a whole hedge of them. Driving towards the mountains they were on the right side of the street.
I am more that willing to pay what ever it takes to get some cuttings or if they know the name of the oleander. I have never seen such a beautiful color.
We were on a business trip and my husband didn't want to stop for any plants. Next time I will insist!
I have been to Palm Springs many times and it was either too cold for me or too darn hot. Last week the weather was just breathtaking!!!! The flowers were the best I have ever seen them. The area must be warmer in the winter than Phoenix to have such beautiful tropical plants.
I love my plants. I don't think I could deal with a HOA, they start to take themselves too seriously and become a PIA. Are you staying in the area?
Regards,
Mickey
Kyleaz@earthlink.net

o

Mickey,

Eisenhower is a big street! I rarely touch oleanders, unless I have gloves on. They are poisonous, you know.

Do they grow from cuttings? I don't know. We avoid them because of the poison.

They need heat, and you have it there in AZ.

We are moving about an hour and a half from here to a cooler climate.

I hope you can find out what kind they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here