Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

Whatcha got?!

Phildeez
12 years ago

My tomatoes and peppers began budding furiously over the last few days. Looks like the Glacier heirlooms and Hot Cherries will be first.

Anyone harvesting or have fruit yet?

Comments (15)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Radishes. No toms- a few green fruit, but it will be a while. The squash is going like gangbusters.

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, if only I had space to keep the fall veggies. Had to pull them to get in the spring/summer fun stuff.

• k9fan
    12 years ago

I have some bell pepper plants that managed not to be killed by the light frosts of winter here on the San Francisco peninsula, and some of them are starting to bud with fruit. Last year I lost virtually every single pepper to my three dogs (I am a rank amateur at gardening and didn't realize until too late that they would eat the peppers off the plants once they got really ripe), so after that experience I put up a makeshift fence. I am hopeful of a nice crop this year!

Other than the sage and oregano that overwintered very nicely, everything else is just beginning to sprout, because I didn't plant any seeds until May.

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Planting seeds late is a blessing this year, Susan. This freakishly cold spring is actually causing huge problems around here for gardeners and farmers, SF may be better off with less extreme temps. I am dealing with some very stunted looking peppers that I planted on a warm day in March and have been babying through the cold ever since...Deciding if they will recover or if I should pull them and start with new ones.

• dicot
    12 years ago

Eating some great beets, onions and garlic right now, but the real treats are the early raspberries and the artichokes.

• Astroknot
    12 years ago

Yes, San Francisco's climate has been kind of spastic this year, hasn't it? We got so much rain, but we also had some really freezing temperatures and the occasional hot, sweltering spell.

Weather has settled down a little bit now. The only plant of mine that is producing anything yet is my sweet peas out front, and those are volunteers from last year's plants so they had a head start from all my other seeds.

I have not yet learned the knack for early winter sowing in San Francisco. I did plant some seeds in February, but those are not that big yet. The seeds I planted in April seem to be doing just as well as the ones I planted earlier.

• k9fan
    12 years ago

I'm jealous of the beets already big enough to eat! I am trying to grow beets from seed for the second year. They didn't work last time -- I got one decent-sized beet and the few others that grew at all stayed small and tasteless. I just have tiny beet seedlings so far this year (only about two weeks after planting), but I chose a sunnier location so I am hopeful. Am also trying to grow broccoli and cabbage from seed for the first time. And radishes, which are the only things that have really come up.

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Noticed a little Hungarian Wax pepper today, beat out the Hot Cherries even though it budded a week later!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Well, mostly my blueberries, which I am just thrilled with. They are thriving in pots, which allows me to regulate their pH, and apparently, I'd dead on, because they're getting huge. First time I've been able to successfully grow blueberries. I'll have a small crop this year, and now that I've got them behind some significant screening, I'll be able to harvest all of them, without feeding the roof rats or ground squirrels, yippee! And, both my 'Chester' and my 'Prime Jim' blackberries are going to give me some lovey blackberries this season, too. My fav berry above all others. And, I just bought two 'San Diego' tomatoes I'm going to plant tomorrow, and also create some hardware cloth surrounds for them as I did for my blueberries. And, an Anaheim and a Sante Fe Grande pepper as well. Lastly, I'll need to pick up some Cilantro as well as a Tomatillo plant. That way, I have all my Pico de Gallo salsa ingredients! Have to buy my avocadoes for a year more, until my avocado trees start producing, but I just checked, and 3 of my larger trees are setting avos, yea for me!! So, I'll have Littlecado, Sir Prize and Lamb Haas avos next year. The rest of my avos are still a year or more beyond that from producing, but I'm a patient gardener :-)

Patty S.

• sonaliagrawal
    12 years ago

Patty - how do you take care of your blueberries in pots? I have a Misty and a O'Neal in pot planted a couple of months ago, and could use pointers on how to take care of them for them to thrive.

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Patty, I love homemade Pico! That is most of the point of my garden this year, that or other salsa. I have a lot of different peppers so I will be experimenting a lot. Make sure you plant two Tomatillo plants! My larger one is yet to set fruit, supposedly because the smaller one hasn't blossomed yet. I am soooo jealous that you can grow avocadoes!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Will do, Phildeez, thanks for the suggestion. Sonalia, I plant my blueberries in a mixture of 1/2 compost and 1/2 azalea/camellia mix. I added about a cup of soil sulfer pellets to the mixture (these are BIG pots, about 2 feet tall). I bought a pH tester, to make sure my pH was between 4.0 and 5.5, and remains at that pH. I use aluminum sulfate to keep the pH down, as my water pH is about 6.5 to 7.0. I have my blueberries on a drip. When you plant blueberries, you should break up the root ball. If you don't, sometimes the blueberry will have root shock and just up and die. I also have had to cage my blueberries from the rats and ground squirrels, as they managed to mow down about 1/2 my new blueberry bushes when I first planted them. Lost one. Here's a good brief link from Dave Wilson Nursery about blueberries, and I included a very good blueberry guide from UC California Extension, as well.

http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/promotion/blueberries.html

http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/promotion/bluecontainer.html

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of California Extension: Blueberry Guide

• thelox714
    12 years ago

I will try to get everything listed. It is not that much but I can be forgetful.

Lettuce
    Carrots
    Radishes
    Cucumbers
    White Swiss Chard
    Acorn Squash
    Cherry Tomatoes (a plant that is still going from last year)
    Strawberries
    Oranges
    1 Single Kumquat

I've got tons of green tomatoes. Banana, Green Bell, and Poblano Peppers all have tiny fruit on them. Spaghetti and more Acorn squash is coming in as well. Apparently, I made the mistake of only planting 1 tomatillo plant. Live and learn. I may cheat and run down to the nursery and see if they have any.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog: It All Started with Tomatoes

• thelox714
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention Snow Peas. I've already had a cycle of them and have many little baggies of them in the freezer.

Luis

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cukes already, huh Luis? That is cool, mine are just starting to trellis.