Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Nemesia

jenn
17 years ago

One of my favorite small perennials for year-round color and easy care is Nemesia. I've grown N. 'Blue Bird' for 3-4 years and it never stops blooming. It blooms equally well in sun or shade, even in hot sun where I tend to forget to water. It just doesn't stop. In late winter, I shear it back to the lower leaves and about two weeks later it's blooming again.

Thinking all Nemesia were super stars like this one, I eagerly purchased three Nemesia 'Sunsatia Lemon' and planted two in the ground and one in a pot. I was really enjoying the bi-colored yellow blooms, until two of them began to peter out. Thinking one of them was dead, I replaced it with Daylily 'Happy Returns'. The other one in the ground doesn't look quite dead but it appears to be on the way. The one in the pot still looks great.

The Proven Winners web site describes it as "great in early spring". The site at the link below doesn't say when it blooms, but it does say that 'Blue Bird' (my year-round bloomer) 'blooms all season'.

Has anyone else tried 'Sunsatia Lemon' or any of the others that fizzle out after the initial early spring explosion?

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Nemesia varieties

Comments (15)

• vinelover
    17 years ago

My yellow nemesia are still going strong. I forgot what they're called and I lost the little card.
    {{gwi:535957}}

Sorry for the big picture. There are two in there. One is yellow and the other is nemesia sachet berries n cream.

• riche
    17 years ago

Hi there Jen
    I am a sales rep for the company in England that bred Nemesia berries and cream.We are about the launch this one in our new catalogue for 2007!. You can find out more about our range at www.farplants.co.uk. I hope you like the plant and it continues to flower, you might like to also try Nemesia Amelie, this ones pinks and compact.
    Please let me know if you are planning on planting anymore and any problems you might have, as I can speak to the breeder directly.
    Kind Regards.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

Our garden club which puts a display in the Sonoma county fair every year is always looking for new colors and textures in plants that will tolerate 2 weeks inside a metal building in July. This year one of the plants we tried was nemesia. The bloom was not impressive and none lasted long enough to be useable at all in the display. We also tried Pentas this year and they looked good at the start so we will see how they last. Al

• lilboy
    17 years ago

I love my Nemesia...the whites perfume the whole garden...just lovely. I have them in pots everywhere.
    The purple is something new to me...it looked a little leggy so I gave it a haircut and it came back in a matter of weeks and won't quit.
    I didn't realize it was a perennial.

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Me too, i love nemesias and the more colors the better.I have them in hanging pots,in the ground,and all sorts of containers.I just keep trimming them and they alwas come back.
    Kathi

• davissue_zone9
    17 years ago

These, as well as their relatives the diascias and alonsias poop out and die here in the valley when it gets hot, I quit trying after killing countless numbers.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Well, I'm not sure what I'm doing "wrong"...:D...but my Diascia 'Coral Belle' has been blooming almost non-stop (there was a hiccup of about a month in late winter, I think) since I planted it last year. Maybe because it's a hybrid? I'm just north of Sac in Knights Landing.

{{gwi:535958}}

I have the 'Blue Bird' Nemesia planted in a pot with some chocolate mint and pennyroyal, and it's been very forgiving of my less-than-regular pruning schedule. Every time I cut it back, it thanks me with more blooms.

I have both planted in mostly shady conditions, with a spot of sun off and on throughout the day. I've been watering the Nemesia daily during the heat, but the Diascia only gets water every 2 weeks, whether it likes it or not. :)

Brenda

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Brenda,those Diascias are gorgeous!! I don't have any of those this year,don't know why,because i usually do.I like the way yours are in that grassy looking stuff,what is that???
    Kathi

• youreit
    17 years ago

Thank you, Kathi! Actually *LOL* that IS grass. Not sure what kind, but I know it's not any one of the average "ornamental" varieties that I've planted. It's growing around my pond and in other scattered places throughout my yard, including the Diascia "bed" and all around the Penstemon you can just see to the right.

My garden is rather wild looking, and one reason is because I never mow or weedwack anything. That grass grows somewhat clumplike, and when it becomes long, as it is the photo, it gets a flowing look to it, not unlike water. It also aids quite nicely in keeping the roots of plants cool. :)

Brenda

• jenn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, all three 'Sunsatia Lemon' bit the dust early in the season. The other Nemesia 'Blue Bird' is still blooming unphased!

• peachiekean
    17 years ago

Give me the plain white and blue nemesias. They respond to pruning and come back again and again.
    I had the same petering out with the Cranberry nemesias - they just don't do very well.
    Mary

• ruby138
    17 years ago

I think some of the nemesias (the brightest ones like Sensatia Lemon) are annuals rather than perennials.

When I first tried nemesia, I thought it persnickety and sickly, but I guess we just got used to each other. This energetic flowerer has become one of my favorite hot-weather plants; it does well in the dry, hot narrow perennial bed between my sidewalk and curb. Two excellent qualities: the plain white smells like lilac. And it reseeds true to color including the beautiful bi-color cherry/ pink/ cranberry/rose forms. They usually reseed in cracks and crevices, but they adjust well to moving.

• dalelong73
    9 years ago

I also purchased the Sunsatia Lemon variety. They all looked wonderful in the spring, but in June they started going downhill and in July they have no flowers, Since they are in the very front of my terraced walkway, the almost-dead nemisia are quite noticable. i would not buy this variety if I wanted an all season perennial.

• mkirkwag
    7 years ago

Since people seem to look at this thread now and then, I thought I'd post a picture of one doing really well in a Seattle summer. It was fairly cool that year, but dry (as our short summers are). The Proven Winners site says that when the temperatures creep above 70 or so, the bloom will die back, so you should trim them back. They will rebloom. Also says that they do better in pots or raised beds. From all that, I would assume that in hotter areas, they would appreciate some shade. You can't see them that well in this picture - they're kind of orange and at the back - but you can see what else was thriving at the same time and environment.

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

That is a pretty pot of plants!