Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
svirfnebli

Where to have soil tested near Ventura

svirfnebli
12 years ago

I've got some serious soil problems and need some help to figure out what to do. I've never had soil analysed.. Can someone recommend someone near vertura and also advise what price range to expect? Is there a good online service?

Matt

Comments (11)

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    12 years ago

Check with your local county extension office. Surely with all the farming there they should have one.

• chudak
    12 years ago

Don't know about the price but Fruit Growers Lab in Santa Paula probably does what you need. I worked there almost 20 years ago doing organics analysis of soil and water samples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Growers Lab

• chudak
    12 years ago

In looking at the ag testing it looks like you can get the basic soil test for about $70. Additional fees are required for NPK and organic material, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Testing Costs

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

The lab doing the testing need not be close by, in most cases the soil will need be sent away. For me the importance of the test is what can be learned from it. I have seen test results from labs that require the gardener to hire an interpreter to tell you what the heck does all that mean. For our property here in Calistoga and also in Oregon I have sent soil to Perry Laboratory in Watsonville where I once lived. The cost at that time, 15 years ago was slightly more than $30 and included four pages of how to interpret the results. If you want to make inquiries their phone is 831-722-7606. Al

• californian
    12 years ago

I keep reading posts where people are telling Californians to check with their local county extension office. As far as I know California did away with them many years ago. They did have them back in the early 1980s because I went to one in Anaheim, but it is no longer there.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    12 years ago

The state of California can't tell any county gov't what to do away with...they may stop funding the counties for it.
    The link for Ventura county extension office is below and it is provided thru UC Davis...which is gov't funded!

Here is the link for orange county CA in Costa Mesa and Anaheim is not a county.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ventura county extension dept

• socal23
    12 years ago

I recommend Midwest Laboratories: https://www.midwestlabs.com/ The prices are very reasonable and they have pretty fast turn around - 1 or 2 business days from when they get the sample.

Ryan

• californian
    12 years ago

gobluedjm, where is the link for Orange County? And I never said Anaheim was a county. And where on the link that you did provide does it say they do soil tests?

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    12 years ago

http://ceorange.ucdavis.edu/

I didn't say in the links they provide soil tests. I said to check with them...in other words...they may know where to send etc for testing.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

The University of California Cooperative Extension office is a shared responsibility of the county and the state. Their offices are found in your phone book under the county offices section. I believe none of their offices do soil testing at your request. If a soil pathogen was suspected of causing crop failures of a commercial crop I am sure they would do any testing needed to identify the problem. Al

• californian
    12 years ago

gobluedjm, thank you for the link to the Orange County extension office. I called them and they said they definitely do not do soil tests. In fact they don't even answer questions except for a master gardener hotline maned by unpaid volunteers. You call the hotline numbers and leave a message and the volunteer will get back to you.
    They also don't give out free brochures like best varieties to plant for your area like they did back in 1983, any printed info you want you have to pay for and order online from UC Davis. Some stuff you can download for free though.
    The numbers they gave me for the master gardener hotlines were:
    Orange County: 714-708-1646
    Los Angeles County: 323-260-3238