Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can i cut down my one male avocado tree?

Posted by lindsey5809 Oakland, ca (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 0:47

Hi there,

I'm buying a house in Oakland, CA and there are three mature avocado trees in back and all are quite unruly. I discovered that the one we would like to remove is the sole male tree. The avocado fruit I have seen from one tree is Haas. Both females are near finished fruiting.

I'm new to the neighborhood, so there might be more trees around -- there is definitely one a couple hundred yards away, although the fruiting season is near finished and I can't tell if it is male or female.

I also don't know how to tell if my two fruiting trees are A or B. At least one is A, a Haas.

I REALLY want to remove this third tree. What do you think? Will it still receive hopeful pollination from neighboring trees? If I don't get a lot of fruit next year should I consider buying a small male B tree and keeping it under control?

Many thanks!

Lindsey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i cut down my one male avocado tree?

Good news for you Lindsey- Hass don't have male trees, they are A types. You can cut down the unproductive tree with no impact on fruit production.

Wikipedia says "the avocado is unusual in that the timing of the male and female flower phases differs among cultivars. There are two flowering types, "A" and "B". "A" cultivar flowers open as female on the morning of the first day and close in late morning or early afternoon. Then they open as male in the afternoon of the second day. "B" varieties open as female on the afternoon of the first day, close in late afternoon and reopen as male the following morning.
"A" cultivars: Hass, Gwen, Lamb Hass, Pinkerton, Reed.
"B" cultivars: Fuerte, Sharwil, Zutano, Bacon, Ettinger, Sir Prize, Walter Hole."

I have two Hass trees and believe me, that's plenty! Congratulations on your new home. May you have many happy years in it.

Renee

o

Having a type B tree will increase fruit production, but isn't completely necessary. You can still get fruit with just the Hass because self-fertilization is responsible for a significant portion of the fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing avocados

o

thank you both so much for responding! I am not sure the other female tree is also a haas but I feel better now about removing the third tree.

I will see you both on the forum I hope. Happy gardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here