Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I be watering my redwood trees?

Posted by plantsgalore z9 SF bay area (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 1:08

Hello all, sorry if this is a totally uninformed question.

We have 3 very large and some smaller redwood trees in our backyard in the SF Peninsula (up in the hills). I read in last month's sunset magazine that I should be watering the redwood trees since the drought is so severe it might actually kill them. These trees are gorgeous and unfortunately situated too close to the house so I really don't want them to die. The redwoods are one and a half times the height of our two story home, and I would guess about 30-35 years old. Should I be watering established trees? Is there a way to tell if the trees are getting enough water to be healthy?

Keeping fingers crossed for an el nino year!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I be watering my redwood trees?

In forty years with redwoods in two locations I have never found them to need added water. Growing in nature redwoods are normally found along creeks or in valleys where water is more plentiful. When redwoods are planted they may not be where nature would grow them, but when they are as mature as yours are, they have spread the roots to adapt and you should have no trouble with a dry year. It is normal for a redwood to have roots extending 100 feet or more from the tree. Al

o

My Moms neighbor didn't water his redwood and now he has a dead tree.

o

I don't water mine and I have several huge trees. It is normal during the summer for the foliage inside the tree to turn yellow and fall off. You want to watch the tips and as long as they are green, the tree is ok. They run roots that are out as far as the tree is tall! Mine are around 60 ft tall.

new small trees do need water until they become well established. Penny

o

Plantsgalore, the main problem may be that they are too close to the house. And they are going to get really really huge, in a hurry. And the bigger they get, the more expensive it will be to have them removed. If there is a big windstorm or fire in your area, you may wish you hadn't left them there.

o

If you want them to look their best..water. If you can put up with them growing much slower,less lush foliage,and more needle-scales drop,there is no doubt they will survive in your area. And we had late spring rains to help.

The best garden Redwoods are in lawns and get fertilized also all summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here