Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

A peaceful gardening day

hosenemesis
11 years ago

Today was a lovely day in the garden.

It was sunny and cool, with just the slightest breeze. The hose only kinked once. I let the phone ring. The chickens came out and didn't eat the bell pepper foliage or dig up the tomatoes, and the lizards were courting on the back deck. I decided where to plant my new alstroemeria. The pelargoniums have been spectacular.

{{gwi:536832}}

How was your day?

Renee

Comments (8)

• socks
    11 years ago

Renee, your garden is fabulous. I'm always impressed when you share photos.

I didn't get to garden yesterday, instead spent some time with my dear little grandson.

But I am enjoying a new-to-me plant I got...lupine. I hope it does well in its sunny spot in the rose garden. I always enjoyed the children's book Miss Rumphius (who scattered lupine seeds everywhere).

Here's a photo of my Persian Shield which is just leafing out. I managed to overwinter it in the garage.

{{gwi:536833}}

Here's the staghorn which is pretty big:

{{gwi:536834}}

Lastly, the "Christmas" cactus. I repotted them all this spring.

{{gwi:536835}}

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Socks! There's a fern eating your tree!
    That specimen should be in a botanical garden; what an incredible plant.

It's nice to see the Persian Shield survived. I had one that lasted two years outdoors. It's the kind of plant you go visit every day in the garden.

Renee

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

What a fantastic shot, Renee. I can see myself walking around the corner and getting lost in all that beauty!

socks, Persian Shield is one of my favorite plants, but I can't seem to grow it. Every time I go to Green Arrow, I want to buy another PS plant, but stop myself. What's the secret :-) Wow, some staghorn, and I love the yesterday, today and tomorrow plant as well!

• akarinz
    11 years ago

socks...questions about your staghorn fern. How do you have it mounted and what do you do to take care of it. It looks fantastic!!!

Karin

• socks
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone.

The yesterday-today-tomorrow and Persian shield are favorites of mine. The PS is kept in bright shade in a pot and has a little morning sun, and other than that I cannot think of any special care. The color is unreal, isn't it? Renee, I think I do look at it just about every day. I just moved the Y-t-t into the ground as it was in a pot for years and needed to be transplanted.

Eloise, Green Arrow must be a local nursery for you. I think I got this PS from ebay because I've never noticed them in the nursery. That's why I struggled to overwinter this one in the garage.

Karin, the staghorn was given to us tied to a 12" square board about 30 years ago. It has been the victim of very little care. It gets sun some of the day, shade the rest. It gets watered sporadically, I used to put black bananas behind it long ago, every few years someone might toss a granular fertilizer on it. I have no idea how it lives or what's going on behind it or how it even takes in water. Our tree man said it would not hurt the tree. I'm not crazy about it, but DH likes it.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Location, location, location! Your staghorn loves its spot.
    I'm going to try giving mine a touch more sun.
    Renee

• socks
    11 years ago

You are correct about the location, Renee. Actually, the fern's original home was on a magnolia tree which slowly died (not the fern's fault). As the tree died and lost leaves, the fern got more and more sun, and it wasn't too happy about that. When the mag was removed, the fern was relocated to its current location (liquid amber tree), and it has grown a great deal since then. It's definitely happy where it is now. TMI probably...life history of the fern.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I just moved mine as a result of seeing yours, so not TMI! I hope mine does better now.