Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

my lemon tree is still messed up

Laurel Zito
12 years ago

I left my lemon on my so called Meyer lemon tree a long time, maybe three months. It got bigger and more yellow. Then I decided to cut it, and it was just like the first one. The skin was thick, I mean the rind was huge, and there was not much juice. Therefore it is actually one of those bad lemons, it must be. That kind with the huge fruits that are all rind and hard to squeeze with little juice. Meyers have dainty little peels. This is from four winds growers, and they said it was a Meyer, but there is no way.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of lemon on the tree

Comments (11)

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just thought of the name, I looked it up, and it could be Ponderosa I have flowers and fruit at the same time, but it did not look bumpy and did not have a huge amount of seeds, so don't know. It does not look orangish in color like a meyer. I know meyers, I buy them, when they are in season, but you can't get them all year. What is this tree?

Here is a link that might be useful: Poderosa lemon

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I would not be so quick to assume your lemon was mislabeled. Often the first fruit of a young tree will be as you describe. With next fruit leave it on the tree even longer until the color deepens to the Meyer color before picking it. At that time you should be able to taste the difference between the Meyer and the more acid lemons. Al

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I contacted four winds, they think that the root stock has taken over, and therefore, this is what I am getting, but the jury is still out at this point. Because it was a dwarf and I can't see a graph and because poderosa have thorns and this had not a thorn, I like that.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

Oh, Meyers have thorns, I can assure you! Admittedly, it takes them a few more years to start forming them, but they are there and suitably painful to run into. And also, I've gotten thick-rinded Meyers, it happens quite often. They are variable, depending upon day/night temps, watering schedule, etc.

You can easily tell just from the taste if it's a Meyer. Buy a grocery store lemon and taste them side-by-side. Sometimes we forget how much sweeter Meyers are, and then when we go to a restaurant and start squeezing lemon juice atop our food, one bite reminds us immediately, LOL.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It can not a be a Meyer what ever it is. NPR says: A cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange, the Meyer lemon has smooth golden skin the color of a fresh egg yolk. It also has a thin edible rind, a high volume of juice and none of the tartness of a regular lemon � yet its potential in the kitchen went unnoticed.

This one has a thick rind, yellow color, and is very hard or impossible to squeeze at all. The taste is not like a meyer as I even ordered them last year from four winds growers in a box. I got a set of them and they they were orange in color and rounder then the ones I see in the grocery store that are marked meyers. You can't really use them like a lemon at for salad dressings or fish. I ended up eating the case of meyers like oranges with some sugar on them, because they were so good. This one tastes like lemon juice, not bad tasting, but like lemon juice.

There is nothing wrong with as a lemon goes other then it's impossible to squeeze so you can't use it squeeze on your fish. And the amount of juice is small compared to a good eureka, now I wish I had gotten a eureka considering this has happened. There will be more photos added to flickr in the future. I am too depressed to upload them now.

Here is a link that might be useful: NPR interview and link to story

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It could be a eureka, I am going to wait and see, instead of digging up and discarding. It is going to have a lot of usable lemons in 6 months or so for squeezing on fish.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Are you sure it does not have mites? Citrus mites make lemons grow very thick rinds. When you say you could not squeeze it, is that because it was dried out from staying on the tree too long? I had a Eureka, and it had delicious lemons that squeezed just fine.
    Renee

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't think it has mites, but the rind is so thick it remains me of these friends of mine, who have a ponderosa lemon. However, they don't water, feed or prune it. So, I think the lack of juice in those grapefruit sized lemons is a lack of water. These lemons do have an average amount of juice, but are very hard to squeeze. It could be a Lisbon or a root stock, but I can't actually determine which type of yellow lemon, however, it's not a Meyer. So beyond that is it a mystery. I am waiting now to see if any thorns appear in the future. I like no thorns. The flowers smell like orange blooms, so it's a nice tree to have.

Here is a link that might be useful: new photos of lemon tree are up

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have never seen a rind as thick as this, expect on that ponderosa lemon. I think this is a ponderosa on a dwarf root stock. I have to go post in citrus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is the lemon cut in half

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am justified, I got a reply on citrus forum, when I showed the cut lemon.
    It says that it is a ponderosa, but where are the thorns then? The give away is the rind, because I know Meyer are thin skinned. This is huge rind, almost half the fruit is rind. I think it's kind of cool, however, maybe mine is more rare then meyer? It will like san francisco, we don't get cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: my post on the citrus forum

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went back to the nursery, they said I could take one and the grower will pay for it, as I am unhappy with the fruits. The meyers looked like mine, but one of them had thin skinned fruits that were rounder, but that was bigger.
    The fruits on mine are wrong, so I asked for the Eureka which is the same price, in case the other meyers, that did have the wrong type of fruit get planted twice. There was one with fruit, but that was a bigger meyer, so I did not want to risk getting the same tree with the same fruit. Now, I can have two trees. These lemons are fine, but have little juice and are mostly rinds. So, if I was buying a meyer in the future, I would pay more money for one with fruit, but my car is small and it's hard to plant a big one. If you can check the fruits before planting the tree to make sure it correct, that is a good thing.