Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ISO Spicy smelling carnations seeds/seedlings ! ! !

Posted by sooz z9/So Cal (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 2:17

DH and I returned from the Del Mar Fair out here in San Diego county. While at the flower exhibits (awesome!), we noticed a group of about 5 stems of carnations in a glass vase and they received a ribbon for scent. We both smelled this small bouquet and it was awesome! The info card said nothing more than "carnations" and the exhibitor's name.

I would LOVE to grow some carnations from seed or seedlings that would have the spicy fragrance I associate with carnations! Store-bought or flower shop carns have no fragrance, although they have lovely long stems.

In the past, we've purchased some seedlings that were supposed to be fragrant. Not only was that a lie, but they were also stubby, as if they were supposed to be--of all things--a ground cover or something! They were about 4 inches tall.

We've checked the local nurseries and home stores without any luck as to spicy-smelling carnations.

Could anyone please direct me to a source for these?

Many thanks!
Smiles,
Sooz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ISO Spicy smelling carnations seeds/seedlings ! ! !

They used to be called "Pinks" or "Cottage Pink", the real mane is Dianthus plumarius. You should be able to order the seed. Most of my seed I get from Hazzards and they should have it. Al

o

• Posted by manifest USDA 11a, Sunset 24, (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 19:50

I've grown some Dianthus superbus. Got the seeds from eBay. They had a wonderful spicy-sweet scent and a pretty frilled flower.

o

Here are two of my favorite seed stores for fragrant seeds, Select Seeds and Summer Hill, they carry pinks (dianthus) and/or carnations:

http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/001820.2.3826554944710933966?

http://summerhillseeds.com/fragrant-c-27.html

Carla in Sac

o

• Posted by sooz z9/So Cal (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 15:45

Thanks, everyone!

Smiles,
Sooz

o

I have some Chaboud's Mix plants with fragrant flowers. I haven't mastered how to grow them yet, they always seem dry in parts. But the flowers smell great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here