Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pomegranates

Posted by jjjb 9b; ss18-19 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 2:19

SOMETHING has been eating my pomegranates.
I am in suburban Southern California in a regular "subdivision" home. This is my first year in this home and new to California.

Have a lovely pomegranate tree in the back yard with a lot of small pomegranates ...... about the size of a golf ball or slightly larger.

I have been noticing fallen fruit with bite marks for the last week or so. Every morning I find one or two fruit partially eaten under the tree. The fruits are still young with white seeds inside and have a lot of ripening to do yet.

Any idea what animal this might be? I am not an expert but the bite marks are larger than what a bird might make.

I have been in this home a few months now, but never seen ANY animals in the yard. Birds, yes, but no rabbits, skunks or such.

The tree sits right along a 7-8 ft tall brick wall fence and I have neighbors on all three sides.

How do I catch / prevent this animal from getting to my young fruits and destroying them?

I need to do something quickly before all my fruit is gone.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pomegranates

We have a problem with rats taking our green fruit. Al

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 10:20

Welcome to California! It's a beautiful place to live.
Try setting a live trap and you might be able to discover if it is rats or squirrels ruining your fruit.
Also check out the many rat forums here on garden web where you can get much more information. Sorry that you are finding that California isn't always the perfect place to garden that we all want it to be- we have to share it with hungry critters. Min

o

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 10:41

I would second rats as your number one suspect.

o

• Posted by jjjb 9b; ss18-19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 23:00

Thank you all for the suggestions. Guess I wil be making a trip to Home Depot to get a trap.

o

Try slipping a nylon stocking ( panty hose) bit/toe over each fruit. Animals aren't suppose to bite thru it. I tried both this and paper bags over grapes and it worked really well... But then we didn't have roof rats to deal with.

o

Rats.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 11:46

Yeah, rats. Set some traps. If you have a bird seed feeder, ivy groudcover, or trash-palms, get rid of them.

o

• Posted by jjjb 9b; ss18-19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 12:33

Thank you all. I got a trap but no success yet. Hopefully soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here