Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miniature Orchids, Begonias and More

Posted by epiphyte78 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 2:26

This Friday evening at the LA Arboretum the Los Angeles Fern Society will hold a presentation on Begonias/Terrariums. The meeting starts at 7:30pm.

The presenter will be bringing some Begonias for the raffle table and I'll be bringing a few plants to sell via silent auction. Mainly miniature orchids, but also a fern, a Rhipsalis and a Tillandsia. All have been grown outdoors year around.

Here are photos of the actual plants that I'll be bringing to sell...

Various Miniature Orchids

From left to right...

Pleurothallis minutalis, Tillandsia capillaris Pitchfork and Tolumnia hawkesiana, Tolumnia bahamense

Succulent Miniature Orchids

From left to right...

Trichoceros oñaensis, Bulbophyllum shepardii, Dendrobium prenticei

Restrepia trichoglossa and Company

Restrepia trichoglossa mounted with Pyrrosia lanceolata?, Hatiora rosea, Kalanchoe uniflora, Peperomia hoffmannii? and Rhipsalis

Pleurothallis leptotifolia

Pleurothallis leptotifolia

Campylocentrum and Cleisostoma scolopendrifolium

Campylocentrum and Cleisostoma scolopendrifolium...two of the smallest monopodial orchids.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miniature Orchids, Begonias and More

How did it go? These are amazing orchids- thank you for the info and the photos.

o
RE: Miniature Orchids, Begonias and More

The presentation was quite excellent. I learned that vermiculite works well for rooting cuttings and that some, if not all, Sinningias can be grown from leaf cuttings.

They really are amazing orchids...but the average highest bid was $3! Yikes! On one hand, I'm losing my shirt...but on the other hand I'm sharing some really great orchids with other plant enthusiasts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here