Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need a web slinger ID

Posted by Sluginator 10b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 7:59

What is making these webs? Are they herbivores or carnivores?

Should I release my inner Dalek and EXTERMINATE?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need a web slinger ID

They are in the rosemary, too.

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 10:11

Leave them alone- its just carnivore spiders doing their thing. No threat to you or your garden, but if you can't stand the look of them, hold off on the poisons and the flamethrower- i bet you can water hose them away. Min

o

We have many lizards around, and they would not be here if there was nothing for them to eat. Going on that belief--

It seems to me that if you have that many spiders surviving there, there is a food source for them--insects. They might be doing you a favor. I'd ignore it as long as you can, then a water jet will clean the plants, or just a few.

o

Or a broom.

o

We have tons of same. I generally ignore them, except on the succulents on the patio, where I remove them with a paintbrush.

Good point on the food source!

Sara

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 16:57

Shrubs can do with a hard spray of water every so often during summer. It will wash the dust off as well as the webs and the plant will look better and healthier. Should not take much water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here