Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
La Nina - more drought?

Posted by borderbarb San Diego county (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 9:33

More need to water garden/yard, and more water rationing?

Signs of La Nina, and higher fire risk
New satellite images of the eastern Pacific show that a fading El Nino has given way to an emerging La Nina.......La Nina typically results in below average rainfall, which allows the landscape to remain drier for longer periods of time, often resulting in more wildfires.........Scientists detect El Nino and La Nina by monitoring changes in sea surface temperatures in the central equatorial Pacific. Above average temperatures represent El Nino, which can enhance winter rainfall in Southern California. Cold temperatures represent La Nina, a natural, periodic drying trend..........."The next few months will reveal if the current cooling trend will eventually evolve into a long-lasting La Nina situation," Bill Patzert, a Jet Propulsion Laboratory climatologist said in a statement.

Here is a link that might be useful: La Nina -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: La Nina - more drought?

It seems like I have to water more now because of el nino, because my plants got adjusted to high water volumes. It's hard to wean them off all that water without having some of them curl up and die. I just a lost another pansy plant today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here