Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
min33

Getting blueberries possible next year?

I fell for a beautiful "Bountiful Blue" blueberry bush at my local nursery, my biggest impulse buy this year -I will make an effort to control myself from now on. I know nothing about growing blueberries and got no results from a garden web 'search'. Can anyone tell me if I have gotten myself into more than I can handle here in Very Hot Summer Land? The tag says 'full sun' but I doubt it because not much can stand the full sun we have here! Because of relentless gophers, I want to keep it in a big pot.
It is covered in berries right now and they are what suckered me into buying it. I'm thinking it came from very controlled greenhouse conditions and I might not get these results again. If you have grown blueberries and actually gotten yearly crops, any advice from you would be very welcome. Thanks, Min

Comments (8)

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

In hot summer areas Blueberries like dappled afternoon shade, I have mine in a place where oak tree shadows reach them by about 3pm and they are happy. Blueberries need acidic soil, fast drainage, and regular watering. They also need to be cross pollinated by a different cultivar to produce fruit, most sources recommend planting three different named cultivars. Southern Highbush (SHB) blueberries are most popular in warmer climates because they do better, I have a Misty and it has very attractive foliage as well as tasty berries.

To sum up: Afternoon dappled shade, acidic soil, don't let them dry out, ensure proper pollination. Do these things and you should have success.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I don't know just where you are in northern California which is a big place with several micro climates. Here in the Napa Valley area, in the hills to the west actually, I have grown blue berries in partial shade, in half wine barrels. They do best in a PH of around 5 which is easy in a container. If you don't cover with bird netting your not likely to get any berries for yourself. Al

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Peachy and Al!

The tag says 'Self fertile; a pollenizer such as "Sunshine Blue' will yield a more prolific crop.'
    What have I gotten myself into?! I didn't want a 2nd bush, just lots of berries. :-)

This tag also says, 'Before new growth begins, prune off twiggy growth, leaving only main stems to prevent overbearing'.
    Do you think that is just hype or do you do that too? Min

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm 20 minutes south of San Jose in a valley 30 minutes inland from the ocean. Very hot summer sun! Min

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

Depending on how hot it gets your blueberry might be happier with morning sun and dappled shade from noon onwards. If the pot is not too heavy you can move it around to find the spot it likes best.

I linked a page that has a good, concise explanation for success with blueberries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry Growing Info

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again, Peachy. I will study that link. I think I have found just that kind of place for it but I have big strong DSs to move the pot for me if its not happy there. Min

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Nick Staddon (plantsman for Monrovia) said they grow those 'Bountiful Blue' right out in full sun in Azusa and/or Visalia, hardly fog-shrouded, cool locations. They can take heat. They are hybrids of blueberries native to the South (as in the Deep South), so heat is not a problem. Dry heat is the problem. You would have to keep them watered so some afternoon shade for a potted plant would not be a bad idea, but the fruit is sweeter with some heat.

Cut back lightly in August and fertilize at the end of August, they push out their new foliage and growth in September and prepare for bloom which can come as early as January depending on how warm your winter is. That's what Staddon said, anyway. He gave a talk and talked about 'Bountiful Blue'. You don't need a cross-pollinator, there will be plenty of fruit.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great news Hoovb- I really didn't want to add to my impulsive blueberry collection (of one). Thanks very much for finding all the good information for me!
    Min