Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

What a rain!

peachymomo
10 years ago

How weird has the weather been where you are? I think I just experienced my first January in June weather, cool and rainy enough to produce puddles. I love it, but it's definitely odd. Great to have a few days of not having to worry about hand watering though.

Comments (16)

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

We generally have summer in winter and winter in summer. Last few years we have had way more rain during the "dry season" than I can recall in the past 35 years of living here. (extreme coastal NoCal)

We have been getting drizzle every few weeks since late Spring when it dried up, sort of. Not always enough to knock off watering as we had strong winds in the afternoons for several days at a time. I was watering my wrists off.

I am always glad not to be hot. If I want hot I will light a fire in my woodstove.

• northbay12
    10 years ago

We got a good soaking here in Santa Rosa. Not sure just how much, but I have about 200 gallons of rainwater collected from one downspout. Now it's pretty humid. I love this weather!

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Me too, I was just out enjoying how fragrant my flowers are in this weather, it's perfect!

I also had to take some pics after our rare summer rain.

My garden path:
    {{gwi:314000}}

My fuchsia is doing better than ever before, I think it likes this kind of weather.
    {{gwi:537705}}

The first poppy to bloom after the storm.
    {{gwi:537707}}

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

I'm so jealous!

• soaht
    10 years ago

westlle,
    You got that right! Have you looked up the weather for this week and next for us here in Fresno and the rest of the southern central valley? Look how toasty we're going to be getting! Prepare to keep your garden well water ;) Wishing we are having Australia's down under winter weather right about now. And one last rant how come southern Ca is in the 80's and where in the 100's, isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fresno weather

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

No Soaht,it's not supposed to be the other way around!!!!

It was very nice here today,kinda overcast with a nice breeze until almost 2pm,then the sun came out and I went in.I'm just about 30 to 45 minutes north of san diego,depending on traffic.These days it's more like 45 as the county fair is progress at del mar.
    Kathi

• soaht
    10 years ago

kathi_mdgd,
    Wish it was :( I always thought the farther south you are, the hotter it was. But I guess you guys are closer to the coast, so that helps keep cooler, but more humid. We are in the valley where it all the heat gets trap and the rains is blocked by the mountains :(

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    10 years ago

SOCAL isn't in the 80's...maybe all the coast. Inland its hot and thats 95% of socal.
    100 here today and 95 at the office and that was cool compared to sat and sun expected temps.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I noticed the high humidity with the warm temperature brought out a lot more fragrance from the flowers. Al

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Nice to see everything looking so good, peachymomo. Your path is always a pleasure to look at again- I love the grasses you put in.
    It's hot and awful here. All of my Bishop's Castle roses crumpled today while I was at work, and the four new alstroemerias I divided and planted are a bit blackened and flat. I think they will come back up from the roots in the fall, though.

• socks
    10 years ago

The path is very, very nice! Rain--lucky you!

We have no chance of it and blistering heat coming up. That's the beauty of California, isn't it? We have a little bit of everything.

This post was edited by socks12345 on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 10:18

• aquilachrysaetos
    10 years ago

I`m inland so cal. It was in the mid 90s yesterday, due to be 100 today.

Yuk.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    10 years ago

The humidity brought out the fragrance of my dog.
    Min

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I try not to smell the dog, that's why I keep my nose buried in the roses ;o)

I've heard that roses are more fragrant in places that are warm and humid, something about the way the scent moves through the air. This was my first time being able to experience that in my own garden. But by the afternoon when it got all hot and muggy I was ready to go back to our regular California dryness, I could not stand living in a place that was humid and hot all the time. I am not looking forward to the heatwave heading our way.

Thanks for the compliments on my path everyone! Things are growing in nicely, although there are a few plants in need of transplanting. The shrubs are gaining in size and the climbing rose is inching closer to the trellis. This is it's second year in the ground, so hopefully next year it will 'leap' over the trellis and cover it in blooms.

Anyways, have a nice week everyone!

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

"The humidity brought out the fragrance of my dog." Heh heh.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    10 years ago

Yes- up until this humid weather period I thought Tucker didn't ever smell 'doggy'. A friend's hound stinks all the time and I was congratulating myself on making a good choice of dog. Oh well- suddenly it is dog bath time here.

The difference in the fragrance of the mimosa trees in N.C and the ones here is incredible- I used to go to sleep at night with that lovely smell in my room, but here, though the mimosa practically grows into my bedroom window, I rarely detect the blossoms' fragrance unless I stick my nose in one.
    Otherwise, I don't miss that humidity at all! Min