Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Decorating with Succulents - A Few Photos

I wanted to put a pretty pot in the corner of my new patio down on the lower south side of our yard to brighten it up, so I decided to put together some pretty succulents. Since it's not on drip, and out of my sight line (out of sight, out of mind can also mean out of water), I opted for forgiving succulents. Since moving back to S. California, I have developed this little love affair with succulents. I have two spots on our flagstone path I want to plant two seperate succulent gardens, and Bahia (David) has really given me inspiration to put together a couple of pretty little succulent garden spots. So, thought I'd share this little pot, since I found the most lovely Echeveria 'Etna' specimen to use as a centerpiece.

Here you can see all the 5 different succulents. The centerpiece is a particularly nice Echeveria 'Etna' specimen surrounded by Sedum spurium 'Dragon's Blood' (on the left), Anacampseros rufescens 'Sunrise' (sandwiched between the 'Dragon's Blood', Sedum burrito, and Graptoveria 'Debbi' (peeking out from under the Echeveria on the right side of the pot).

{{gwi:537724}}

Another couple of views of the pot, and also a little Kalenchoe pumila planted in a smaller pot, which has a very pretty little pink/hot pink flower. And my little Talavera iguana standing guard:

{{gwi:537725}}

{{gwi:537726}}

I have a few pots with pretty succulents here and there. Just love them because they stay neat and pretty, are very structual with lots of interesting structure, textures and colors, and are very forgiving if you miss a watering.

Once I get the two little succulent garden areas planted, I'll post up some photos of those areas, too. Have some Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' that are sitting in pots that I'm going to pot up in taller pots as sort of sentinals to one of the areas. I have to get water to those areas, first, and then I can sit down and start putting together some nice specimens that will complement each other. I have a couple of really great books by Debra Lee Baldwin - "Succulent Container Gardens" and "Designing with Succulents". And, there looks to be a very good book about succulents coming out soon, The Timber Press Guide to Succulent Plants of the World: A Comprehensive Reference to More than 2000 Species by Fred Dortort, which should be available this October.

Patty S.

Comments (10)