Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decorating with Succulents - A Few Photos

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 11:09

I wanted to put a pretty pot in the corner of my new patio down on the lower south side of our yard to brighten it up, so I decided to put together some pretty succulents. Since it's not on drip, and out of my sight line (out of sight, out of mind can also mean out of water), I opted for forgiving succulents. Since moving back to S. California, I have developed this little love affair with succulents. I have two spots on our flagstone path I want to plant two seperate succulent gardens, and Bahia (David) has really given me inspiration to put together a couple of pretty little succulent garden spots. So, thought I'd share this little pot, since I found the most lovely Echeveria 'Etna' specimen to use as a centerpiece.

Here you can see all the 5 different succulents. The centerpiece is a particularly nice Echeveria 'Etna' specimen surrounded by Sedum spurium 'Dragon's Blood' (on the left), Anacampseros rufescens 'Sunrise' (sandwiched between the 'Dragon's Blood', Sedum burrito, and Graptoveria 'Debbi' (peeking out from under the Echeveria on the right side of the pot).
Photobucket

Another couple of views of the pot, and also a little Kalenchoe pumila planted in a smaller pot, which has a very pretty little pink/hot pink flower. And my little Talavera iguana standing guard:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have a few pots with pretty succulents here and there. Just love them because they stay neat and pretty, are very structual with lots of interesting structure, textures and colors, and are very forgiving if you miss a watering.

Once I get the two little succulent garden areas planted, I'll post up some photos of those areas, too. Have some Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' that are sitting in pots that I'm going to pot up in taller pots as sort of sentinals to one of the areas. I have to get water to those areas, first, and then I can sit down and start putting together some nice specimens that will complement each other. I have a couple of really great books by Debra Lee Baldwin - "Succulent Container Gardens" and "Designing with Succulents". And, there looks to be a very good book about succulents coming out soon, The Timber Press Guide to Succulent Plants of the World: A Comprehensive Reference to More than 2000 Species by Fred Dortort, which should be available this October.

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decorating with Succulents - A Few Photos

Very nice. I have a very small front yard and it needs a few small plants so I was thinking of some succulents or cactus. Last year I also planted a Kalenchoe - the flowers looked pretty. However, I have no flowers this year although the plant itself is looking good and has been growing. Not sure why.

o

I like it. I like the iguana too. I saw a snake figurine in that same style that I really liked but it was too $$$$ for me.
Keep the photos coming.

o

Pretty patio. I love succulents in pots- and yours are nicely packed in there and look really great. I have a few pots with them, but none as interesting as yours.
Renee

o

Thanks, all. Renee, I'm really fortunate that I have several nurseries in the area that have large succulent collections, so my choices are almost endless. And, one of my local nurseries also has a pretty nice selection of Talavera pottery, which I love. It's pricey, though, so I only have a few pieces that I've been slowly collecting. When I get my little succulent garden sections planted, I'll snap some more photos and share. I have two really idea spots, so excited about that!

Patty S.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 15:23

From the bits of your garden in the pictures, it looks like it must be beautiful, not just the pots. Very nice!

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 15:29

Beautiful!!

o

Thanks hoovb and Jenn! You both have lovely gardens, so I take that as quite a compliment :-) If I have a chance this weekend, I'll try to take some pics of my different gardens and post a little walk through. This particular area was sort of an unimproved area that had become very overgrown, and there was no hardscape or real plan. It was our 2011 project, and it's nearly complete. You can see a little peek at my greenhouse, which I'm really excited about. Waited 30 years for that baby!

Patty S.

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 18:08

Why thanks Patty. :)

What are those airy plants at the edge of the patio?

o

Those are Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Silver Sheen'. They surround 2 sides of the patio and I have roses ('Julia Child') and salvia (forget the variety at the moment!) around, with some Bacopa in front.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 21:04

Thanks, Patty. I'm sure you must be enjoying your new patio and plants as summer approaches. Love the look of the pavers too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here