Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A flying visitor to my garden

Posted by deep___roots ca9/sunset15 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 11:19

This red guy dropped in and ain't he neat?
Photobucket
Here he does some push-ups before taking off. Keep your eyes open...no telling what you'll see.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A flying visitor to my garden

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 12:47

beautiful! do you have a pond?

a big red guy shows up every year to take over the job of Supreme Commander of my biggest pond. he will let the little blue damselflies hang around but no way can another dragonfly come near without an instant fight. he is on guard every minute- i don't ever see him eat. min

o

There's a big pond at my office and we get these guys. They're fun to watch. If I'm not mistaken, I think we get greenish/blue ones too. Are they dragon flies?

o

I don't have a pond anywhere, but dragonflies perch on the tops of my tomato cages during the hottest part of the summer. I think the young must grow up in the local creek?? They've just shown up here and there so far, but in July it seems like you can always find at least one in my garden. They're hunters, so I think they're probably helping with insect control, including eating mosquitos (though they're indiscriminate, so they could be getting bees too).

o

One of our now gone cats was very good at catching dragonflies which he claimed were delicious and he only left the wings. Al

o

Heh heh- Al! Yummy dragonflies. The big green and blue ones are also dragonflies. We used to get one that would perch on the antennae of my mom's '59 Olds 98. Every year. Genetic memory?

o

• Posted by elladog z10 SoCalif Su (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 19:22

That looks like the dragonfly called a Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata. They like to perch on the tops of upright sticks. In my yard they perch on the 1/4" diameter flower supports.

And yes, dragonflies eat gnats, flies, mosquitos, ants, termites, and bees. The young aquatic nymphs eat mosquito larvae. So they're not only pretty, but helpful to have around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here