Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnums, Rhododendron, Hygrangea

Posted by JoonB Zone 23 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 11:26

I have to do some foundation planting under the eave of my house. The area faces northeast.

Can you tell me the pros and cons of these bushes- or perhaps offer me a suggestion of something else that is a good foundation planting offering some flower interest?

Would these bushes also do ok in a west location or is it too hot (ie too much water requirment?)

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnums, Rhododendron, Hygrangea

Also, can you tell me which varieties based on your experience would work? I prefer more purples or whites- no pink.

Thanks!

o

Those are perfect choices...for Seattle. If you're in Zone 23, you should be thinking more along the lines of plants that are naturally adapted to Mediterranean, desert, or dry subtropical conditions. There are thousands of plants from Australia, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and the Canary Islands that would be suitable. Forget about the northern stuff. You have far more exciting possibilities awaiting you.

o

Can you give me suggestions so I can look them up? thanks!

o

I'd be interested in that too.

o

I also could use some ideas on foundation plants for sun to filtered shade. I can suggest though you check out native plants. There is a forum here I believe and Sunset has a section of natives in their book.

o

I had mirror plant (Coprosma repens) in So. Cal. with it's incrediblely glossy green leaves. Had a Viburnum (don't remember which one) with leatherly leaves that unfortunately was susceptible to spider mite. In hot sun Murraya paniculata always looked good. Natal plums (Carex) are attractive (thorns). Escallonia - shorter hybrids. Grewia. Hebe 'Pattys Purple'. Nandina (looks like bamboo).

In shade I used camellias with azaelas - did great. Loropetalum needs a bit of sun protection down south.

The local Home Depot will carry what does well in your zone - perhaps some hydrangeas are bred for So. Calif.?

o

Bob Perry wrote a book well suited to your area. It is "Landscape Plants for Western Regions". Your library may have it. He is a professor with California State Polytechnic University Pomona. Al

o

I like my Springtime Viburnums. I have some facing east, don't know how they would like facing west with no shade.
Renee

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 13:04

I have had good luck with Dichroa febrifuga, false hydrangea, evergreen hydrangea, in the same situation. -Here is a post by someone growing it in zone 23.

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 13:07

P.S. by same situation, I meant foundation planting/northeast exposure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here