Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep___roots

grevillia pix for hosenemesis

deep___roots
12 years ago

The one in back covering up the side of the deck.

{{gwi:537868}}

Same area, the bare spot is where the one that died used to be.

{{gwi:537869}}

Front of house. Hummers like to visit the plant so putting it by a deck or by a kitchen window is good.

{{gwi:537870}}

Comments (12)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

What a nice lacy shrub. I love it! Your photos also show how big it is, which is pretty important. I also love your acanthus.

Deeproots, your yard looks so lush and private with all of the mature trees. It must be heaven there.

Thank you for taking and posting the photos for me.
    Renee

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Renee, are you looking for pics of grevillia? I have a lovely large grevillia up by the street that gets essentially ignored by me, and is so lovely! I can try to snap some pics of it as well, and try to identify the variety for you. I love my grevillia, have several up on my slope and they are just so great for my xeriscaped hillside.

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Sure, Patty! I'd love to see some more shots of it. It would also be nice for anyone searching for grevillea, since it is hard to find shots of the whole shrub on Google. I could only find flower shots, so I emailed deeproots for a favor, after doing a search on this forum.
    Renee

12 years ago

Sure, Renee, here you go:

{{gwi:537871}}

{{gwi:537873}}

{{gwi:537874}}

{{gwi:537875}}

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I like the form and the color. Thanks!
    Renee

12 years ago

It was so funny, Renee. When we bought our home, this grevellia was already established. We were coming back from a 13 year hiatus from California, and in that time, many of these Australian plants really became popular. I had never seen anything like this plant, and thought it was so interesting. As I walked by it, it looked so soft and pretty. I ran my hand over the foliage, expecting it to be soft and feathery. Ouch! Not. But, I really love it's interesting curly flowers and it is always in bloom, even if it's just a few. And it is prunable as you can see. Would make a really attractive hedge.

Patty S.

• skrip
    12 years ago

While we're on the subject... here's my Grevillea Noelli growing around an Angel's Trumpet next to my garage:

{{gwi:537876}}

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

I planted a shallow bank of Noelli 8 years ago and it has needed no attention from me at all. The quail love it for shelter and the hummers for food, especially in the cold early spring months when not much else is in bloom. Min

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Min, how big are they? I am assuming you have not pruned them.
    Renee

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

my best guess, renee, since they have grown into a low forest, is that they are approx 4' x 4' each, tho some branches may stick up a bit higher than others. i have never pruned them and the ones on the outside are still growing out farther through a wire fence.
    right now the sun is just coming out from behind east side trees to shine on them (10 am) and they will be in the direct western sun until about 5pm.
    min

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

I planted Grevillea 'Canberra' for a pine substitute (better size). And for the hummers.

Mature needles become deadly. No reaching under this to pull a weed. Unfortunately the spiders love to spin their webs in it.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Aha. We have a spider situation here. They let us live in their house.

Thanks min.
    Renee