Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grevillia pix for hosenemesis

Posted by deep___roots ca9/sunset15 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 11:38

The one in back covering up the side of the deck.
Photobucket
Same area, the bare spot is where the one that died used to be.
Photobucket
Front of house. Hummers like to visit the plant so putting it by a deck or by a kitchen window is good.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grevillia pix for hosenemesis

What a nice lacy shrub. I love it! Your photos also show how big it is, which is pretty important. I also love your acanthus.

Deeproots, your yard looks so lush and private with all of the mature trees. It must be heaven there.

Thank you for taking and posting the photos for me.
Renee

o

Renee, are you looking for pics of grevillia? I have a lovely large grevillia up by the street that gets essentially ignored by me, and is so lovely! I can try to snap some pics of it as well, and try to identify the variety for you. I love my grevillia, have several up on my slope and they are just so great for my xeriscaped hillside.

Patty S.

o

Sure, Patty! I'd love to see some more shots of it. It would also be nice for anyone searching for grevillea, since it is hard to find shots of the whole shrub on Google. I could only find flower shots, so I emailed deeproots for a favor, after doing a search on this forum.
Renee

o

Sure, Renee, here you go:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Patty S.

o

I like the form and the color. Thanks!
Renee

o

It was so funny, Renee. When we bought our home, this grevellia was already established. We were coming back from a 13 year hiatus from California, and in that time, many of these Australian plants really became popular. I had never seen anything like this plant, and thought it was so interesting. As I walked by it, it looked so soft and pretty. I ran my hand over the foliage, expecting it to be soft and feathery. Ouch! Not. But, I really love it's interesting curly flowers and it is always in bloom, even if it's just a few. And it is prunable as you can see. Would make a really attractive hedge.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by skrip z9/sun19/SoCal. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 14:07

While we're on the subject... here's my Grevillea Noelli growing around an Angel's Trumpet next to my garage:

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 18:10

I planted a shallow bank of Noelli 8 years ago and it has needed no attention from me at all. The quail love it for shelter and the hummers for food, especially in the cold early spring months when not much else is in bloom. Min

o

Min, how big are they? I am assuming you have not pruned them.
Renee

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 13:33

my best guess, renee, since they have grown into a low forest, is that they are approx 4' x 4' each, tho some branches may stick up a bit higher than others. i have never pruned them and the ones on the outside are still growing out farther through a wire fence.
right now the sun is just coming out from behind east side trees to shine on them (10 am) and they will be in the direct western sun until about 5pm.
min

o

I planted Grevillea 'Canberra' for a pine substitute (better size). And for the hummers.

Mature needles become deadly. No reaching under this to pull a weed. Unfortunately the spiders love to spin their webs in it.

o

Aha. We have a spider situation here. They let us live in their house.

Thanks min.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here