Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Cupaniopsis anacardioides (Carrotwood) tree in Mom's new landscap

jenn
12 years ago

My mom's backyard was recently landscaped (actually finished last week) and we got the grand tour last weekend. It's beautiful and she is very happy.

However I almost choked when I noticed the new tree is a Carrotwood (Cupaniopsis anacardioides). We recently removed one from our backyard after years of pulling seedlings (and seeds) everywhere. I didn't mind the leaves (great for mulch and compost) but the seeds are invasive. The tree is banned in Florida as an invasive pest.

When we saw it, I said "oh carrotwood!" and she asked if we're familiar with it, so we told her we just removed ours and why. She looked discouraged, so I told her I often regret removing it due to the shade it provided (which is true).

Since it is just newly planted, I'm wondering if I should suggest she ask her designer to replace it with a different tree. There are small plants around it. It does need staking (she gets fierce winds in Glendale) anyway.

She's 80 but strong and in good health, and she doesn't need trees sprouting in her new garden beds --- the weeds will be bad enough.

Should I encourage her to have it exchanged for another small tree, or let it go? She has a "mow, blow, and go" gardener but I am afraid the baby trees coming up everywhere will drive her crazy.

Comments (10)

• lakdfsjl
    12 years ago

I would ask the designer to replace it. If it is a small tree, you should offer to pay the price of the tree and/or give a little bit of money for transport and planting (Since the tree that you are removing may not be able to be used again.)

Also inform the designer of the flaw in the choice of tree. many designers are not coming from a horticulture or gardening background, and they don't know some of the problems associated with certain trees and plants.
    a baby tree can turn into a big headache very quickly.

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you.

I need to pick my battles; my mom is very independent and handled the whole process herself (and prefers doing things that way). She's also very prone to high anxiety and the thought of having to replace the tree will mean the job is "not done", and she likes things to be "done". When I speak to her she'll often say "so that's one more thing done...".

I don't want to create new, unnecessary anxiety. She's been through a LOT the past few years (including personal trauma). She talks about selling the house and moving, so she may not be in the house long enough to see the tree become a pest. And the tree may not become the headache I might predict, so moving it may be unnecessary.

If it were up to me (but it's not) I'd contact the designer myself but I don't have the contact information so I'd need to go through my mom which will stir up new anxiety.

If she could hear it and consider it without becoming anxious about it, I'd recommend it without hesitation......

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I'd leave it. Tell her it won't fruit and reseed for years, so not to worry. It's probably true, and if it becomes a problem later it can still be cut down.
    Renee

• billiame
    12 years ago

I would also say leave it if it's going to cause too much anxiety. Yes, they will eventually seed, but not for a while.

Another option would be to encourage her to have the tree replaced by suggesting a better specimen tree. Perhaps you can tell her how beautiful the fall foliage of a Chinese Pistache would be, or the interesting silouette of a Shoestring Acacia...

• tressa
    12 years ago

Hi Jenn, I'm with you. If you think it is going to be upsetting to your mom I would just let it go. Later, if it proves to be a pest, she can make the decision to have it removed if she wants to...

• californian
    12 years ago

Can anyone tell me what month of the year carrot wood trees make their seeds (viable seeds). The reason I ask is I got a load of free wood chip mulch which the tree service guy said contained a carrot wood tree, pine tree, and crape myrtle tree. I am wondering if there would be viable seeds in the mulch. And what do they look like?

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I believe ours bloomed in spring. The seeds are dark chocolate brown, oval in shape, smooth/shiny surface, about 1/4" long.

• californian
    12 years ago

So if I got the wood chip mulch the first week of june the seeds would have already fallen off the tree so I don't have to worry about them?

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your input. I'm still not sure if I'll say something or not. I will suggest she have it staked, and if she mentions anything else about the tree then I could express my concern again.

• Joshman464
    9 years ago

What was the result of this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrotwood care

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!