Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_b_gw

Goldfinches destroying sunflowers

Bob_B
11 years ago

My garden is full of lesser goldfinches, the result of a feeder of seeds my wife puts out. The birds are feasting on the leaves of my sunflowers, wanting a nice salad after their whole grain. They put snails and slugs to shame. Two or three more days and its all over with the sunflowers. I don't want to spray insecticide on the leaves. I'm thnking of making a solution made from crushed red chili flakes, straining it, and spraying on the leaves. Anyone try this? Or anything easier?

Comments (9)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

They need their vegetables! They will also eat hollyhock and squash leaves. My husband used to feed the hawks -ahem- I mean, the finches, and I had the same thing happen that you are experiencing. The best solution is removing the feeder and trying again next year. Niger seed has become too expensive anyway...

I don't think birds can taste chili. There is a substance called Bitter Apple that birds can taste, so you could try spraying that on the leaves. You can usually get it at pet stores. You might be able to water it down a bit to make it go further (farther?). Good luck, fellow gardener.

Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Birds can't taste chili, so it won't affect them.

What about bird netting?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

I plant agastache for the gold finches and enjoy watching them pick out the seeds as the whole stem sways. They have never bothered anything here. Al

• slogal
    11 years ago

I agree with Renee about removing the feeder to limit the damage to your sunflowers.

I'm probably one of the few gardeners who lets some fennel grow each year for the goldfinches. They eat the seed when it ripens in the fall. I've also found swallowtail larvae on the plants as well. I don't let the fennel take over -- it's a thug -- but I'll always have a bit of it.

• Bob_B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting -- research indicates that not only are birds immune to hot chilis, but some even eat hot peppers --"Pepper birds" they are called. Amazing!

Can't remove feeder. Wife loves the birds. If it's birds vs. sunflowers, birds win. Meanwhile birds continue to skeletonize sunflower leaves. Will live with it. Interesting, one reason for planting the sunflowers was to be able to provide seeds for birds which we enjoy seeing on nodding flower heads.

• napapen
    11 years ago

My sunflowers have leaves that are well eaten. I don't feed the birds when there are plenty of other things out there but those cute little devils come anyway. The perch on the sprinklers in my bonsai house and take drinks and baths.

Eventually the sunflowers make it through and I had the flowers for the birds to continue with the seed.

• aquilachrysaetos
    11 years ago

I let wild sunflowers grow in my yard on purpose to attract the goldfinches. I don't have to bother filling bird feeders. The sunflowers self sow.

My favorite thing is to watch them when I turn on the soaker hose I have draped through my hedge. The place becomes a birdie bath and buffet.

• Bob_B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My wife took the feeder down. (Phew!) The numbers of birds coming was just too much. Almost all had drab plumage, males included. Probably, it's the new generation that has hatched (?). But what has happened to the brightly colored males of the older generation? Did they simply lose their nuptial plumage, or have they moved on?

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    11 years ago

The bright plumage is their breeding plumage, I believe.