Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ella_socal

How are the peaches this year?

ella_socal
16 years ago

I put in a Babcock peach tree this year. Just tried my first one, which smelled amazing, but turned out to be watery with little peach flavor. I've read that early peaches in general have been watery this year -- has anyone else found this to be the case?

Comments (14)

• greenwitch
    16 years ago

My Arctic Star nectarines are watery and insipid. I'm still waiting for the Galaxy and Donut peaches to ripen fully and the Red Barons have a long way to go. I did find several Tropic Snow peaches hidden, this is the first year in the ground for this little tree and it already fruited. I will cut into one of the Tropic Snow peaches tomorrow. I had assumed that I had overwatered or hadn't tapered off watering soon enough.

• bfreeman_sunset20
    16 years ago

Im pretty sure its because its been so cool. Mine were also bland and not sweet.

• sanda
    16 years ago

I had the best crop ever! I think they're called gold something or king something...sorry gotta check the tag. It bloomed right after the frost, finished harvesting the end of May. The branches were so full they touched the ground. the flavor outa this world!!
    sanda

• ella_socal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anyone have pointers on when to cut off water and how much? I definitely overwatered since I upped the watering to 3x week -- my tristania needed it while they were putting out new leaves. The peach tree got some yellow leaves, though, so I'll have to watch this next year.

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

I am no expert, but this is what we do... when the fruits reach near ripe size... I was under the impression that the cutting back on the water upped the sugar content in the fruit.

• ironorchid
    16 years ago

It's my opinion the Babcock is always more mild, without the intense peach flavor i'd like, regardless of weather or watering. I'm starting to graft other varieties on my espaliered Babcock to give me more taste options. I have to admit however, the babcock makes the best tasting peach pie of any variety i've ever made. also, the skin is so thin, and the pits so easy to remove, we cut and freeze much of our bumper crop for use in baking and smoothies.

• la90026
    16 years ago

I had a bountiful harvest from a Mid-Pride tree. I got about a bushel and a half, and this was after thinning the fruit really aggressively when it was about almond-size. I planted this tree in Jan. 05, so this was its third season. I wouldn't let it carry any fruit last year, working on the premise that it was still too young. All of the fruit tasted really good, so I'm sold on this tree. I also had a few fruit set on a year old Eva's Pride, but I took them off in deference to the tree's youth.

• sewpenguin
    16 years ago

I'm stunned how early you guys harvested. I'm in Santa Monica and only began this week. The peaches aren't as sweet as they have been some years (not that much heat except for this past week)but still pretty flavorful. The tree is on the same daily drip as the rest of the garden (including blueberries) so I'm not about to cut it off; but this year I added foliar spraying of very dilute liquid kelp and I think it's made a difference. This is Mid-pride which I've had for almost 20 years. I know there must be better low-chills out there but it's a big tree so...

• sib5
    16 years ago

I know for everyone it's different and what works for you may not work for another but I thought you may know where to find quality fruit trees [peach]or nectarine or apricot or plum etc. as I will be putting them in bareroot this winter in zone 9. Is online buying or storebought your preference? Any particular nurseries or varieties you found to be good?

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

I am harvesting NOW with my Babcock and they're ripening FAST in the heat. I don't know how anyone harvested earlier. Mine are very sweet and large this year, but I put in a compost pile within reach of the roots. :o)

• gregholly
    16 years ago

I tried a couple of Stark Saturn (donut peaches) and am totally sold on them. Are there any special tips or techniques anyone might want to share. It seems to me that you all are harvesting kinda early, although I don't know much about peaches yet.

Thanks for the help!!!

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

You live in Sonoma... it's hotter here in Sacramento, hence the earlier ripening. We've just had two days of triple digit heat and warm evenings... ripens them right up. You should be next.
    The only hint I have is to cut way back on water when the start reaching ripening size. And as we have had the best crop this year, I suggest doing what I did and putting a compost pile near it's roots. :D I wondered if that would effect it... last year nothing, this year, huge peaches.
    Oh, and since you live closer to the ocean, you might want to spray with some kind of dormant oil. When we have damp springs we get leaf curl.

• caavonldy
    16 years ago

I think the cold we had this winter has a lot to do with how well all the stone fruit are doing. They love a good cold winter. My neighbor's 2 yo peach lost it's main branch because it was so heavy with peaches. He had it proped up, but he didn't thin any of his fruit trees and there was just too much fruit for such a young tree.

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

I think so too, though I was surprised, there was nary a bee in sight when mine flowered... I kind of gave up the ghost way too early. Our tangerine is over burdened as well... one benefit after losing a lot of plants in the freeze!