Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor fire pit

Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 11:56

Not sure where to post this... it is garden-related... :-)

We're looking for an outdoor fire pit for a corner of our backyard, to sit and relax around a fire with friends and family.

Having NO experience with these, I'm wondering what type to look for, what to avoid, good brands, etc.

We plan to get chairs to put around it, unless we can find a good set at a good price. We're willing to pay a little extra for quality.

Thanks!
Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor fire pit

Sorry, Jen. I have no experience either. Just one thing to consider. We have been thinking about getting one too, and when we do, it will probably be a propane-burning one as opposed to wood burning. Reason being air quality. On spare the air days, you could be prevented from using the wood burning version. I also like that the propane ones can be turned on and off when you want it. A friend has one and it's really nice. And you can roast all the smores and dogs you want over the flames just like wood.

o

I vote for propane too, although I haven't had experience with a fire pit. I have a wood burning chiminea and one of those tall propane heaters like they use at restaurants, and although the fire is "homey", I more often opt to use the heater. It really warms the air, I can use it on no-burn days, the smoke of the fire can be annoying, and there's no muss or fuss. You simply turn it on and off.
Definitely something to consider.

wanda

o

Ours is natural gas, built in. We used it once! LOL! I guess we'd rather sit in the jacuzzi!! It puts out a big flame, and it's windy here, so better safe than sorry!

Good luck finding the perfect answer!

Suzi

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 10:20

Thank you so much for your very helpful comments. This is why I research everything before buying, LOL. Never thought about wood vs. propane. We don't have "no burn" days here, but the smoke is something to think about anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here