Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Moneywort

jenn
13 years ago

We have a narrow spot, about 24 inches wide, at the edge of the walkway to the front door, bordered on one side by the garage and the other by the walkway. In there, the landscaper planted Liriope, Heuchera, and Loropetalum chinense (which, I think, will get WAY too big for this spot) surrounded by Moneywort as a groundcover. This spot gets afternoon sun and water from sprinklers on a timer, but I wouldn't consider it a "wet" spot. The soil is rich clay with some amendment.

Having no experience with this plant, I looked it up after it was planted (it was in the ground before I could say "no"). I learned it is a spreader. Sure 'nuff, it's already busy forming a thick ground cover and has completely covered every bare inch between the plants, and is spreading into the other plants.

I am considering ripping it out while it is still young, before it really takes over. I bet it spreads an inch every few days. I don't mind having bare spots between plants if covered with mulch, so if given a choice I would have said "no thanks".

Wondering if anyone can share experience and give any advice.

Comments (7)