Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenboomer

Podocarpus Health Help

GardenBoomer
11 years ago

I am not sure how to post pictures in this forum but I have plenty if someone gives me the secret. I have 40 Podocarpus trees planted around my yard. 2 feet from the fence line and 4 feet on center. SOme are growing like a weed while others seem to be turning into Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency. it is not like one side of the yard is perfect and the other is hopeless.

A recent development seems to be the tips of my leaves browning. Too much water, not enough I am not sure. I have netafim(sp?) drip irragation about 2 inches under the top of the soil. My ground is very hard and used a 2' augger to create every hole. Put in a lot of gypsum to help soften things up.

Pictures would really help this post.

Plants have been in the gorund 3 years. They have gone from 4' trees to 8'-12' trees. I would like them to fill in if possible more than I am worried about them growing taller. I was wondering if I should trim every other tree to be treelike. Currently the branches start at the ground and go all the way up. Thought maybe if I trimmed the low branches completely off it might let the remaining trees fill out while at the same time letting the trimmed trees focus on growing taller?

Thanks for any insight.

Comments (8)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Here are the instructions. It's not difficult, just time-consuming, with too many steps. This is assuming your photos are already on your computer.
    Open a Photobucket account.
    Click on the green upload button.
    Click on the green Select photos and videos button.
    A new window will open on your computer, with your files. Go to your Pictures, and find the photo you want to use. Click on it. Click on Open.
    The photo will begin loading onto Photobucket.
    When it's done, click the blue Save and continue to my album button.
    Hover your cursor over the image. Four codes will appear. Go down to the third one, which says HTML code, and click. That will copy it. DO NOT USE THE IMG CODE it doesn't work on Gardenweb. Only the HTML code will work.

Go to Gardenweb and to this forum. Start a follow-up post. Write your message, then hit control c for copy. A bunch of computer code will appear, and that is good. Click Preview. Your photo should appear, and you can hit submit.
    Renee

If they are podocarpus gracilior I suspect they are not getting enough water. I would dig down with a trowel to see how moist the soil is, and if it is dry, try giving them a good soaking.

They are planted too close together, so you can cut down every other one if you like, or just the ones that are not doing well. Otherwise, I would just keep them all sheared until they fill in.

How tall do you want them? Mine are about eight feet tall, and it's a real challenge to keep them trimmed, because the hedge is four or five feet deep, and it's hard to get to the center of the top with the hedge trimmer. If you want a hedge, you should start topping them. That will allow more light to get to the bottom so it fills in.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedgezilla thread

• GardenBoomer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

1111111111 - Multi Colored Leaves - 11111111
    {{gwi:538308}}

222222222 - Bald Spots - 22222222222

{{gwi:538310}}

333333333333 - Too dry? too Wet? - 333333333333

{{gwi:538312}}

44444444 - Too much water from lawn sprinkler - 4444444

{{gwi:538314}}

55555 - Weak Trunk? Lower Branches out of control - 5555555

{{gwi:538316}}

More Pictures with some discription
    http://gardenboomer.weebly.com/podacarpus-screen.html

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenBoomer - Screen

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

You may be girdling the trees with the green tape- it appears to be cutting into the trunks. You may want to remove the stakes and tape.

If you want them to be bushy and thick, you should top them before they get too tall or they will turn into trees and lose all of the lower foliage. You also have to shear them to get them to fill in, because all of the new growth is at the end of branches. I wouldn't worry about your bald spots, that's just the luck of the draw, and the adjacent trees will send branches over there to fill in.

Since I keep mine so narrow, I have some bald spots here and there too, but they are slowly filling in.

I can't tell, but if they are sandwiched between the fence and the building they may not get enough sun at the lower level.

Some of them look a little yellow to me- have you dug down to see if the soil is too wet? If you carved out a bowl in your soil, it may be holding the water and rotting the roots.

Those are just a few ideas. I love the lacy, ferny effect you get when they are unsheared, but they grow to be 60 feet tall and very wide, so there's really no other option but to shear if you want privacy.

Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

What hose said, If they are tall enough top them, then they will start filling in. Tip prune (shear) the rest of the growth to encourage it to fill in. There are a couple hedges in the neighborhood with them planted that close together, and they are fine. It did take more than 3 years for them to fill in.

You may have dry spots and wet spots, check to see. Don't worry too much about the sunburnt bits, they are still establishing.

• glogirll-2009
    9 years ago

I have had this Podocarpus for about seven years and it has been my favorite! This last January every leaf turned brown, but last month, to my amazement and joy, there was new growth! But this week I noticed some of that green has turned brown! I am so concerned about this plant for I truly have enjoyed it.
    I have no idea what the problem is, but would love your insight.
    Thank you,
    G

This post was edited by glogirll-2009 on Mon, May 26, 14 at 16:10

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Two things to consider glogirll. The root system and your past winter.

Root system: is the drainage good? Is the plant getting enough water (are you in drought)? Is there competition from a large tree nearby? Has the power company or such done some major digging close to the tree?

Past winter--was it extremely cold? Did you get some hard freezes? Most Podocarpus are listed as hardy to about 25F. Zone 8 might be too cold for it.

• devolet
    9 years ago

Alternate way to post pics, if you are using a device with the photos on it ( like an iPad in my case ). In your Post a Follow-Up option:

Choose File, Choose Existing, Choose Photo, and it will attach.

Then Message, Preview Message, submit.

I have a podocarpus that's been moved several times and finally rests next to the house. It did not fill in until I topped it, and then cut the branches in by half. It stimulated new growth in between. Mine is in clay soil but it drains well. My whole garden is in clay pretty much.