Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aiyiyi--need oleander replacement

Posted by cowper z10/Sun15 SFBay (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 13:17

Here's the situation: We have a narrow sideyard where the only free space is next to a tall, well-established white oleander, which has been pruned into a 10-to-15-foot-tall tree. We've been grilling under the oleander, with the grill sitting in the dirt bed next to the oleander. I was planning on extending the brick walkway out a bit so that the grill won't keep sinking into the ground....but as I'm digging the patio extension, a neighbor reminded me of the high toxicity levels of oleander. It's a gas grill with a cover, and certainly we wouldn't accidentally eat any leaves....but even so, the alarm has gone off in my mind.

I would love to plant something else that has similar characteristics: evergreen, can take a certain amount of shade (it's next to a fence), doesn't need a lot of water, grows quickly, etc.

We may just take the whole thing out anyway, but it would be nice to have a backup plan in case it just looks too bare there.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aiyiyi--need oleander replacement

You must *eat* the leaves and/or use the branches as skewers.

So keep the oleander if you like it.

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 20:53

Getting a long established oleander out of the ground requires at least a heavy vehicle and a heavy chain. We did that with 4 of them and it was a very hard 2-day job.

They are such reliable plants, I would keep it, prune it as you like, and just throw the fallen leaves away. min

o

I agree with Jean. Besides having to ingest an oleander leaf, good luck trying to do that. They are so incredibly bitter, that you'd know immediately if you bit into one. Hence why oleander poisoning is extremely rare. Not to worry, enjoy your barbeque!

Patty S.

o

I'm going with the majority here. Oleander won't cause you any problems. Just don't trim it while you are grilling and get sap in the turkeyburgers.

If you cut it down, it will just grow back from the roots anyway.

o

I have 150 oleanders one third of them white, which is the strongest grower. It is a big job to keep them at a reasonable height, let alone trying to actually kill one. If you are up to keeping them the size you want, I would not try to get rid of them. As you can imagine I have a very large amount of oleanders to compost, and it makes excellent finished compost. Al

o

• Posted by cowper z10/Sun15 SFBay (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 13:13

Thanks so much, everyone, for walking me through my freak-out! Sounds like we should just continue to take the precautions we have been taking, and give the oleander a good trim.

Even though I did not plant it, I don't mind it and it is screening our neighbor's two-story, very blah stucco wall...so I would be sad to see it go.

Happy 4th everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here