Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant for dark bathroom

Posted by SheEatsFigs none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 13:21

I've been thinking to put a potted snake plant on the large bench in my shower. There's a window beside it (tho what light comes through is pale, off a shade garden). The bench is far enough from where the water hits that what water the plant gets would only be steam, aside from direct watering.

Will the snake plant do okay in these conditions? My bathroom isn't a black-out during the day, but it's definitely low light.

If not the snake plant, anyone have suggestions for an interesting/somewhat architectural plant I could use instead?

Thanks!

Jessie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant for dark bathroom

Is sounds as if it is quite dark in that location. It may work better to purchase two plants. Put one on the bench, and the other in a location with better growing conditions. Then switch the two plants every week or so. Snake plants have a fairly slow growth rate, and their upright foliage won't droop during the dark period. But they won't go into the decline that would happen if you left a single plant under insufficient-light conditions for too long.

o

I hear that ZZ plants are great in those conditions. Not as sculptural, though.

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 19:48

Gyr: excellent idea- I will be doing that!

Renee: what is a ZZ plant? Min

o

Thanks to you both. I got a snake plant for our bedroom, which receives more moderate light, and a ZZ for the shower bench. Fingers crossed!

o

I hope it does well for you. My sister in law has two in her dark living room, and they are growing well and look great. I had trouble with snake plant in a dark corner because it rotted from too much water and not enough circulation. I would be conservative with the water.
Renee

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 3:46

I would do as Gyr_Falcon suggests, get two identical plants and switch them out regularly. I do this with a couple of mine and it works well.

o

Yes, I'll watch the water. I do need to remember to give the plants partial sun breaks, too. - Thanks all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here