Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

California dreamin of June weather!

What I wanted when it was dreary and soaking mildewy wet in winter..this kind of weather.

Funy too-the cats love it too..where ever I walk-they follow,when I stop,they plop down and roll on their backs-not a worry in the world!

La Nina,finally gone.

Comments (16)

• jenn
    12 years ago

Where are you? It's cool, overcast, and damp here in eastern Los Angeles county.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The SF eastbay-south of Oakland. Its going to be 80's+ and sunny until next Friday they say...

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    12 years ago

It's gonna get to upper 90's here on tues/weds...then gradually decrease to low 80's for next weekend.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good Jim- remember three summers ago-soucal inland valleys had that month or two run of 100f weather..ferocious. This week for you guys is nice evenings weather too.

• fruithack
    12 years ago

Yeah, Junuary finally gave way to Jay. Personally, I'm doing everything in my power to be carbon positive in hopes of creating local warming.

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

My tomatoes are finally growing, I'm so happy! Last year was very depressing because I barely got any fruits, I'm hopeful that this year will be better, I built a new raised bed out of concrete to help warm the soil and I think it might be working.

My new kiwis and grapes are also enjoying the heat, and I am enjoying watching them grow and training them along their supports.

• pedroinfante82
    12 years ago

You people in LA and the Bay Area have it made with the nice weather. Here in the Central Valley it got up to almost 100 yesterday and for tuesday its supposed to go up to 100 and for wednesday like 102. I used to hate it but now that i'm close to my 30's when I see how fast a Tomatoe garden grows in this area and how the organic apples from my dad's backyard are the best tasting and juiciest apples i've ever tasted then the hot weather reminds me of that and it makes me smile. For me entertainment is definitely gardening, specially with all the good tips I read from gardenweb's forums it gets me more into it lol.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

We are between the coast and the central valley, and our weather depends which way the wind blows. A wind from he coast and our summer temps are in the eighties. Wind from the east and they are in the nineties, as it is now. Fortunately this switches weekly, and we are always grateful for the change. Al

Original Author
    12 years ago

Today we should be near 100 in Hayward..a all time record for the date. Plus back in January we had our very first 80f recorded for the month-twice I think. Between that..cool below average weather although PTL,we hadn't any all time low temps.
    So,everything seems more extreme-wilder swings of temps. As long as we keep avoiding those record lows,it seems we must be getting warmer.
    I'm tellin ya,for years I had posted we never had a warm January day..then we had two. At this rate,coconut palms in 2050. On my grave..wink...

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

here where i work in San Diego we will hit 75, and where is live 1 mile from the bay it will be 73. i am waiting for the 80 degree temps!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

"Personally, I'm doing everything in my power to be carbon positive in hopes of creating local warming." Heh heh heh. Funny.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    12 years ago

Oh Pedro you must have no idea how large the LA area really is. Along the coast and that is just for about 3-5 miles it is cooler in the 60-70's. But the further you go inland its HOT. We have plenty of valleys here that get to 90-110 late June-Aug. June gloom doesn't go all the way inland. In my small valley where June gloom is very rare it was 96 today and warmer tomorrow. Palm Springs was probably easily over 100 as well as the high desert.

So the story is...not all of us consider ourselves to be like LA...
    A1 is right the coastal breezes do help the valleys stay cooler but those Santa Anas are killer.

• aquilachrysaetos
    12 years ago

Bleh. It's gonna be hot today. I live inland where it can get pretty scorchy. I don't do hot.

On the good side it makes my plane trees grow like wildfire. When they get big enough my house should be more comfortable.

• bluebirdie
    12 years ago

I'm in SF East Bay. My backyard thermometer read 110F on Monday and 105F yesterday. Tomato flowers dropped. After a January in May, we're finally having summer here in the sunny California.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Whew! two days of about 100f have come and gone. It was better then gloomy fog though. May and early June's gloom was terrible-blue is right.
    Pedro is right too about that high heat causing fast growth. I oculdnt beleive how heat loving plants I gave my brother in the central valley grew 2-3 times as fast as the same here in the bay area. I think the central valley should be having tall Sago palm forests soon!

• kerrican2001
    12 years ago

bluebirdie, where in the East Bay are you? There is neither a USDA nor a Sunset Zone 8 climate in the area. Just curious, perhaps you have a self-designated microclimate?